Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to say hello. I am not sure how posting works here with new members. I am looking to get a Cougar down the road. Have my eye on a 1969 XR7 convertible.
I currently own a 2003 Mercury Marauder. Another fine automobile specimen from Mercury. That's all.

If the Admins want to reply/PM to see what my intentions are please feel free. I did review the rules of this forum. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Welcome (insert your name here ;-) I have approved your posts and you are good to go. Great forum and membership here on MCnet.

BTW, good choice on the 'Coug you are interested in, but then, I might be a little prejudiced... :buck:

Again, welcome.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome sweetair.

Where are you located?
My name is Bill. I am located in Germantown MD. I have a confession to make. The more I look around at Cougars the more I can't STOP looking. They are beautiful cars. I plan on getting one in the future. Realistically by next Summer. In my searching the net there are many classic car "dealers" out there. Price seems to vary significantly from what I can find on e-bay/Craigslist to these classic car dealers. A few thousand to 80k+. I guess it depends on the model. The Eliminators seem to have the greatest value. Makes sense. In my searching I am having trouble decifering the model steps for Cougars. Like, wheer does a XR-7 fall? Within XR-7's there are different options for them too. The one I would love to get right now is a blue '69 white top XR-7 FMX w/a 351W. I believe a 2V. It is fully restored. A pretty price goes with it. The Marti report says the numbers match.

I see that there are N code and M codesout there. What does those letters determine?

I appologize for rambling along here, I am just excited about the idea of the "hunt" for my perfect Cougar. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Welcome. I like the 69 XR7 Convertibles too.

There were lots of options and option packages available. Some basics:

No convertibles were manufactured with the Eliminator package, but many people have added those things to convertibles.

XR7 package is the "top" package - came with leather interior, burlwood accents, upgraded instrument panel with tach, gauges instead of idiot lights, etc.

Lots of info can be found using the search function here. Other sites with good info and details regarding various models, include http://www.theclassiccougarnetwork.com/ and www.cougarclub.org.

Decor was the next package level. Added interior details that are mostly aesthetic.

Standard was standard - still very nice compared to the competition.

Other options like A/C, PS, PDB, AM/FM, PW, center console, etc. could be purchased on any model. As a broad generalization, XR7's tended to have more options, but this was not a requirement.

When people refer to "M" code or "Q" code, they generally mean the engine code from the Vehicle Identification Number. The 5th character in the VIN indicates the type of engine installed. For example, a 9F94H5***** would indicate:

9 = 1969
F = Dearborn assembly plant
94 = XR7 Convertible
H = 351 2v engine.

For 1969, other available engines were R (428CJ with ramair), Q (428CJ w/o ramair), S (390 4v), M (351 4v) and in Eliminators only, G (BOSS 302).

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thank you for the intel. This is great info. It looks like in your info you have 2 Cougars. Nice.

While on this topic of motors, is one motor a better performer than others? I guess that is not written correctly. The R code motor is I assume has the best performance to it in HP. For example in the older Taurus SHO's the 3.6 liter motor had issues whereas the smaller motor size was more reliable. Does any of that apply here? I first learned to drive on a '72 Galaxie 500 2dr that had a 351W 2V. I thought that motor ran great.

If you had your choice of motors what would be your order of preference and why?

I am going to search around those other sites and read up on this as well.

Thank you in advance.
Welcome. I like the 69 XR7 Convertibles too.

There were lots of options and option packages available. Some basics:

No convertibles were manufactured with the Eliminator package, but many people have added those things to convertibles.

XR7 package is the "top" package - came with leather interior, burlwood accents, upgraded instrument panel with tach, gauges instead of idiot lights, etc.

Lots of info can be found using the search function here. Other sites with good info and details regarding various models, include http://www.theclassiccougarnetwork.com/ and www.cougarclub.org.

Decor was the next package level. Added interior details that are mostly aesthetic.

Standard was standard - still very nice compared to the competition.

Other options like A/C, PS, PDB, AM/FM, PW, center console, etc. could be purchased on any model. As a broad generalization, XR7's tended to have more options, but this was not a requirement.

When people refer to "M" code or "Q" code, they generally mean the engine code from the Vehicle Identification Number. The 5th character in the VIN indicates the type of engine installed. For example, a 9F94H5***** would indicate:

9 = 1969
F = Dearborn assembly plant
94 = XR7 Convertible
H = 351 2v engine.

For 1969, other available engines were R (428CJ with ramair), Q (428CJ w/o ramair), S (390 4v), M (351 4v) and in Eliminators only, G (BOSS 302).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts