Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello cat fans,

I am going to look at a '67 soon and wanted to get some ideas on what to look for. So, I joined here, did a search and read that RUST is the main thing. Especially along the frame rails, trunk, floor pans and cowl. Also mentioned was the Torque Box.

I've been around cars a bit and have restored an Opel GT, Fiero, "53 Chevy truck and worked on a few other cars. For the life of me I do not know what the Torque Box is. I am sure that it just has to do with the term and I may know it as something else. Please educate me as what this is on a Cougar and how to check it. Also any other hints about what to look for.

The car has the smaller motor and is an automatic.

TIA

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
The torque boxes on vintage Mustangs and Cougars are the boxed sections beneath the floor pans just behind the front fenders and just forward of the rear quarters. They join the subframes to the rocker panels and usually fill up with dirt and debris over the years, which holds in moisture and rots away the frame sections they attach to.

As far as purchase issues, you are absolutely correct that rust is the number one factor to be concerned about. Unless the car is a one-of-a-kind or unusually rare/valuable model, the cost of significant rust repair will usually outweigh the value of the car.

·
Registered
391 Posts
One of the other things to consider when looking for a project car are the Cougar-specific exterior and interior trim parts. While dash pads, upholstery, carpet and headliners are reproduced, for example, most of the other unique items are not. And while you can find them, replacing worn out trim parts can get expensive in a hurry. Just my humble opinion, of course.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
67 is also somewhat a ******* year--befor the transportation act of 1968 took place---almost everything in the interior is different--smaller pedals ,knobs that could hurt you ,steering wheels that could attack you along with several 67 only mechanicals--but probably the cleanest cougar made
doctordesoto

·
Registered
292 Posts
Just curious, where in this wide world are you located? I have/had 2 67's, one is going to a local fellow for Parts for his 68 restoration(yes I have encouraged him to join the "Family" here) The other one is a GT by vin, but...... someone else's idea of fix up, Still a good base to go where I want IF I can stay the course. To many other projects going right now.
WELCOME to the Wonderful World of Cougars!
Lloyd

1 - 5 of 5 Posts