Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...yeah so I thought i'd introduce myself, my name is Josh and I'm 18. (I know pretty young.)

So I acquired a 1968 Cougar XR7, which has been passed down through my family, I'm the third. My grandfather bought it originally in 1968 in NJ, then while working on it about 10 years later, he was working on the carbuerator and forgot to hook up the fuel line. Let's just say a fire happened and the car was instantly passed down to my dad!

My dad rebuilt and installed a 302 while in high school and painted the car red from the factory dark green. He drove the car all the way up to 96' when he couldn't afford to drive it anymore, so it was stored in my grandpa's garage and later in his drive way, exposed to the elements, where it began to rust and things looked pretty bad. It was then moved to a garage we had built in our back yard.

Recently this summer I've began taking on the project of trying to get it back running, and get it as restored as I can get (and afford). So enough of the story and on to some pics!

Old pic before it went into our garage:

Going in the new garage (about 2 years ago):

And this Is some pics of the engine work I've done over the summer:

had to hone out the cylinders and clean everything up to get the motor unseized and then I started to put everything back together.
painted the cylinder heads:

And my dad helped polish the valve covers with his buffer:

Some of the parts a friend of mine sandblasted for me, hood hinges, exhaust manifolds, air cleaner cover:

painted my intake manifold with some vht header paint and same with my exhaust manifolds and cured them in the kitchen stove (stinked)
put some stuff back together:

And this is how the engine looks currently:

Before the car wasn't even cranking when I would turn the key, It ended up being the starter solenoid being stuck, so a couple taps and the car started cranking. I'm trying to getting it started soon, it has not been started since 96'. I look forward to sharing my progress and asking as many questions I might have along the way to you guys, so yeah thanks :).

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Welcome.... if you only knew how similar your story is to mine.... it's almost eerie....

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Nice work! Good to see you have plans to keep it rolling

·
Registered
437 Posts
Welcome aboard. Looks like you have the drive to restore her and some skills as well. Good luck and keep up with the good work.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Looks like a solid project, is the body all rusted out? The east coast is hard on old cars....Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Wow, three generations, I've heard a lot of guys say they were going to pass down their car to their son or daughter but when money got tight, the car was the first thing to go. Just think, your grand paw's DNA are in those exhaust manifolds in the form of busted knuckles. A lot of history, welcome and good luck. Sal

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone!

Wow, three generations, I've heard a lot of guys say they were going to pass down their car to their son or daughter but when money got tight, the car was the first thing to go. Just think, your grand paw's DNA are in those exhaust manifolds in the form of busted knuckles. A lot of history, welcome and good luck. Sal
Yeah my mom and dad made a lot of sacrifices to keep the car, him and my mom even lived in it for a little while when things got tight. I'm very grateful that they kept it in the family and I hope I will too.

Looks like a solid project, is the body all rusted out? The east coast is hard on old cars....Keep up the good work!
The body is in decent shape, the paint is chipping, front valence is bent same with the bumpers lol there's kind of a funny story behind it. The car was in El Cerrito CA where my grandpa used to live, and my Grandma ended up hitting a trolly with the car ...twice! and then my mom rear ended the back of an old station wagon here in CT a while back, (I definitely need disc brakes). The undercarriage has some slight surface rust my dad painted the undercarriage with truck liner but on the right side there's surface rust but no holes (luckily). And a lot of components in the engine compartment were really rusty and in bad shape.

Cool! Welcome...."Rookies" are always welcome here.......
Thanks I'm definitely a rookie! So much so in fact that when I was putting my engine back together I went to put on the power steering unit with out the spacer for the bolt that mounts into the head, and I ended up snapping the bolt right inside the head! I had to take off that head again and everything I had on and bring it to a machine shop to get it out! Talk about frustrating but I guess we all have to learn somehow haha.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL!!

Well, not really...

Good to see someone of your age interested in these cars.
Yeah I've grown up around this car dreaming of driving it when it was stored in my grandpa's garage under a tarp, I would always sit inside it and dream as a little kid. the 67 and 68 are my favorite Cougars, and I prefer the cougar over its sister car the mustang since I see old mustangs all the time but never really any cougars (don't worry I still like the mustang), and the body styling is great.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here are some more pics
This one is from 5 years ago me sanding the hood and stripping the paint:

When the car caught on fire my dad bought a parts car, and one of the items swapped was this green dash pad, the cars interior is light brown so it looked extremely out of place:

painted with vinyl paint from west coast classic cougars:

And took apart the dash one day i'm hoping to get the plastic trim on the bottom rechromed, I found a place online that does it for less than most other places but currently I've finished my seasonal job and am concentrating just on college right now, so I'm broke.

also unrelated but here are some pictures of my daily driver that I also love, I've done a lot of work on this one:

This one is kind of pain in the ass it's a 98 Audi a4 quattro stick shift, Check engine light is constantly on but I still like it somehow gives me something to do lol.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just ordered another fuel pump, I guess after 15 years It decided to crap out. It was a holley electric, when I turn the key all that happens is it gets hot and it doesn't make a noise at all. Just gonna replace it with a $20 mechanical one I ordered through autozone.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Welcome, nice ride! I've been tinkering around Cougars since I was 16, owned 2 68's and now have my dads '70 he bought new. Good luck with your project it looks pretty solid so that will help alot!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
FWIW, a pump that gets hot is likely just a stuck motor, if you take it apart chances are you can fix it. Just a thought (but I like regular mechanical pumps myself).

1 - 20 of 51 Posts