Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my new leaf springs and poly bushings from espo installed last weekend. The front end bolts were a nightmare(arn't they all?) to remove, but nothing the oxy- acetaline torch couldn't handle. Those big rubber bushings burn and melt into tar real good. If only I could get that much smoke coming out of the wheel wells when I do a burnout:rolleyes: .

The car handels much better now, and rides more level. The really scary part was I had several broken leafs, the second biggest leaf, and the smallest leaf on the drivers side. On the passenger side the second biggest was broken also.:( The small drivers side leaf didn't really break, it disintegrated when I knocked the saddle off with my BFH.

In all, the job was rather challenging, but kind of fun. :)

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
rear leaf springs

It's even scarier when you get the old springs out and you find that your main leafs were broken! BTDT. :eek:

·
Registered
78 Posts
I feel your pain, my driver side support basically snapped when I did mine. Just called and ordered the front end rebuild kit from espo too.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
How do you tell if the leaf springs are broken? I mean easily, not by taking them apart, which from reading the above sound like a tough job. Does the cougar have to have its own special leafs or can I just find similiar ones [length etc], I am sure most LDV's have the same size springs, but that is just by looking at them, do they have their own fittings that differ, like a towhitch, look the same but each make has its own way of fitting.
Next Question, why is there a shock attached to the leaf springs, I presume its a shock absorber, my bakkie has leaf springs but no shocks attached, in fact the leafs don't even spring but thats another story.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Without the shocks, the leafs would bounce uncontrolled. The shocks control the damper [compression] rate and rebound, as car returns to ride height.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Okay thanks, but to the first question how do you tell if one or more of the leaf springs are broken?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Leaf Springs

I got my leaf springs from ESPO. Shipping to southern Maryland was $24, not too bad. I took everyone's advice and had the shop put them in for $140. Car rides nice now. The driver's side main spring was broken on mine. You could see where it rubbed against the bracket.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Leaf springs can be all sorts of fun. The replacements I'd put on were faulty - one side literally had a warp to it. Once on the car it pushed the axle off center 7/8" toward the passenger side.

I replaced them with 4 1/2 leaf standard height springs and at the same time changed over to gas instead of air shocks - the ride height back there is just about right far as I can tell.

It's much harder to take the old ones off than put the new ones on. Just remember your WD-40, a wire wheel to grind the crap off the surrounding parts and it'll all go together quick and smooth.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts