Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving down the road yesterday and noticed a 69 Cougar sitting on the side of the road. I pulled over to get the numbers off of it for Phil and when I ran them on my Palm Pilot the color showed "Bright Yellow (Elim. Only)". I immediately looked at the hood and the trunk for the scoop and the rear wing. I knew immediately this was an Eliminator. I started checking for the other hard-to-find parts and they were all there including the wooden shift handle. I stood up to give the car a once-over and there it was......the sunroof. I knew then that I had to have this car. I tracked down the owner, made an offer, gave a down payment and I get to pick it up next week. Last night I ordered a Marti Report to confirm everything about it car. The car is in really rough shape but I couldn't let this Kitty sit on the side of the road destined for the junk yard. I'll post some pics when I get it home.:D :D :D :D :angelg: :wave: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp:

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
may i ask how much?

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For only $1,500:D

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Grrrrrrrrr.... but still a score, howd you rip the guy off like that? he he he. if he knew anything at all, hed know a sunroof car would go for more......

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, for one thing the car is located in the rust belt so there will have to be plenty of metal replacement. Then there is the original 351 4bbl motor that is not running and in need of a rebuild. Then there is the body that is there but that is all I can say. Then there is the...... you see where I am going? Still a rare find.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BTW. The guy who sold the car to me knew exactly what it was.....just not how rare.:)

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Dj,

You think Louisville KY is in the rustbelt? Think again! Come up to the real rustbelt where they mine the road salt (and therefore its cheap) and I'll show you rust!

Sidestory here...

Quite a few years ago I fell for the hoopla of having a 'wrong-wheel-drive' car and bought a 81 Plymouth Reliant. No guts and my rear-wheel drive cars went better in snow.

Anyway, I loaned the car to my younger sister who attended UK in Lexington. In 1984, at only 14k miles the camshaft wiped out. My sister had a hard time convincing the dealerships down there that there could be that much rust and corrosion (especially of the underhood aluminum) in just three years and 14k miles. They actually thought it had 114k miles on it! Them good ol' boys down there hadn't seen much northern Ohio rust before!

Also, my first Cougar, a 72 was already a rustbucket in 76. The doors were flapping in the breeze 'cause the bottoms were gone, along with major rust in the shocktowers/fender aprons and quarter panels. The radiator fell out onto the street as the new owner was driving it home in 77. The core support was that far gone!

I'll take your 'kentuck rust buckets' any day!

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good story, I know what you mean....I bought a NJ car that originated in PA that probably had the most rust in any car I've seen. I couldn't even jack the car up on the rockers. The jack would go up but the car wouldn't.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Good deal, need any parts, wanna get rid of any,lol. Love to see pictures of it.

Rick

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Rick. I am definitely excited about the project. I know I will need plenty of parts...
Will definitely have plenty to get rid of since I will be parting out the XR7.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There will be lots of pictures available when I get it. Don't get tooooo excited though....
mm...I'll keep my eye out for more projects.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Palm Program

Actually I found the program in the files section of the Cougar List-serv on Yahoo. Works really good and lets you know everything about a car when you are unsure. Use it all the time.

YES WE SALT OUR ROADS!!! Doesn't snow as much as futher north but a lot of these cars sit in yards for so long uncovered that rust is just a necessary evil here. In the short time that I checked out the car I did see that the floors were completely gone and also the torque boxes. Typical rust in the quarters and doors. Typical shock tower rust. Didn't take me long to realize that it wasn't so bad that I couldn't fix it.

I CAN'T WAIT TO PICK IT UP NEXT WEEK. I'll definitely post pictures in the photos section and this thread when I get it home.
:D :D

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If anyone wants this program, email me off list and I'll send it to you. BTW, I do not offer technical support if it doesn't work since I didn't write it or am I capable of writing it. Works fine for me.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
djgiff said:
the color showed "Bright Yellow (Elim. only ):D :D :D :D :angelg: :wave: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp:
hmm, what other yellows were out there?? that 70 im STILL after was originally yellow. i know its not an Eliminator ( unless a very very rare H code ) but id just like to know.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
In 70 there was a regular "Yellow", Light Ivy Yellow, Yellow Metallic and Competition Yellow. In 69 there was Bright Yellow, Light Ivy Yellow and Yellow. According to Cougar By the Numbers.:)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts