Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that it seems I know need to get a new intake to replace my old Performer intake. Seems one bank of bolt holes will not line up with the Dart cylinder heads as they are off about 3/16" outward of the head. So I'll get the local speed shop to order some in order to test fit till one lines up. Should I stick with Performer or look at Weiand???

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Which Dart heads did you get? Which motor?

The intake bolt pattern is the intake bolt pattern, although some heads use raised ports requiring the use of a special intake for port alignment (Many of the 351C intakes do this), and also many will have non-standard exhaust bolt patterns to take advantage of larger or displaced exhaust ports (wider bolt pattern like SBF Dart CNC heads or diagonal like the old Motorsport J-302 heads) Then of course there is the issue with the 12-bolt 351W intake pattern and the ('69 only) 16-bolt pattern... Just use the 12-bolt gaskets that most intakes require and be done with it.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apparently this is a common problem when dealing with one aftermarket manifold on anothers aftermarket cylinder heads. My speed shop guy sees this all the time when building engines. All he can do is use a rat tail file to oval out the offending bolt holes till everything lines up. No point in getting many heads to see which fits the bolts exactly.

We are talking about Dart Eagle Iron 180 heads for a 289/302 Ford. The intake trial fits the faces of the heads except for one side being actually 1/8" off. Either manifold too far out or head too far in.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Hmmmm, that's surprising. The only intake issue I've had is with Summit's house-brand 'stage 2' 351W (actually an offshore-sourced Performance Products part) had terrible core shift so the ports wouldn't line up right! I had to split the difference between banks - front-to back! I had enough 'fudge' in the bolts to make it work. Now that I've gone to a higher-quality Edelbrock intake there is no issue at all.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
BE sure to check the angle of the heads to the intake - if you had the block deck planned it may throw it off some and require a shave on the intake....you machine shop guy should check that though. Milling things a little loose for the bolts shouldn't to big of a deal.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Cougrrcj-You just proved what I've been saying all along-We stand a better chance of having better parts if they're made here. It's not a perfect world, and not everything from the U.S. is perfect, but a lot of off-shore(read China) parts just aren't up to par.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BE sure to check the angle of the heads to the intake - if you had the block deck planned it may throw it off some and require a shave on the intake....you machine shop guy should check that though. Milling things a little loose for the bolts shouldn't to big of a deal.
Never been any milling on my block and the intake does sit exactly and firmly on the head dry. No doubt about it except one bank of bolts. Speed shop guy would get me any intake I wanted but said waste of time as it would be hit and miss on all the bolts lining up. Said he runs into this problem often when building engines for customers and one mixes different manufacturers parts vs. pure Ford parts.

The whole thing does give me pause in ever doing this stuff again to an engine for performance. Such as the Mopar 360 being stroked out to a 408 with an Eagle kit. What more pain in the neck problems could crop up versus putting all the fitting stock parts back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts