Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

been a long time since I owned a Ford product CAR. Don't shoot me but I'm a Mopar guy. Bought a really sweet 69 Cougar with 52,300 miles, original interior was repainted on a rust free accident free car in probably 1997 or 1998

Was able to talk to the step son of the original owner and have communicated with the 2nd owner. He provided pictures of the car from 1996, it was yellow originally but the 3rd owner painted it. he seems to have fallen of the face of the earth. Cannot get any good info on him. Would like to know who painted it and what color it is.

Everyone is asking me, "what color is that"? I looked at the 69 color charts and if they used a mercury color I believe it might be Dark Aqua Poly

on't have any pics of the engine yet but it is a lighter blue than the Ford blue I remember. DID MERCURY use a lighter blue on the 351 W 2 barrel engines? there is no paint on the valve cover gaskets, screws on the air cleaner, so to me it looks original.

Also the console trim plate has 2 black phillips screws back by the seat belt holder. Don't think this is correct. How does that plate attach?

Has an AM only radio with rear speaker, would like to install an AM/FM radio but want it to look correct, what interchanges with it?

Attachments

·
Registered
619 Posts
She is drop dead goregeous. Mopar guys are fun to have around, especially once they've seen the light! Congratulations on the car and welcome.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Nice car, FOR SURE!

Some are going to wonder, how does Indiana get by with a IN GOD WE TRUST lic. plate shown in pic. # 3.

Well, the customer gets his or her CHOICE. It's either a plain Indiana plate, or the IN GOD WE TRUST version. . By allowing the customer to decide, well, that makes it legal. Now if you want a personal plate or special interest plate, then there is an extra charge.

It has been upheld in court too. I might add, you see them EVERYWHERE...............

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dale, get a lot of comments on the IGWT plates on my cars from people out of state. Got the new plate for the Cougar Thursday and too bad it isn't on a Buick, Ponco or Olds. 455 is the number on my merc cat

Where is a good place to get repo or nos cougar parts?

The car is really nice, bought it to drive to work, but think I might have to do something else. It is too nice to be a daily driver year round since we get salt storms everytime it snows.

Was looking to get a ranger extended cab 2 wd or a newer mustang, guy I work with wanted to sell this so i bought it. Doubt I keep it but if I do will make it more highway friendly.

The reason for my screen name and normally it is just WildCat has noting to do with the cougar. I own 2 Cats, no not a buick either.

My WildCat

cal38yes.jpg

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
From one Mopar convert to another ,, Welcome to the madness.... And nice Cat !

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Sweet Cat, and my favorite color as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it is your favorite color, WHAT COLOR DO YOU THINK IT IS?

I think it might be dark Aqua Poly, but not for sure.

Paint code on the car is "W" yellow

·
OK Cougar Guy
52 Posts
I gasped when I saw your Cat..Mine "was" the exact same color. Paint code "P" Medium blue metallic. Mustang calls in Winter Blue Metallic I think. My valve covers were dark Ford corporate blue The only difference between your car and mine is the XR7. Looks like a nice repaint.
Nice car. Enjoy it and stay tuned to this site.
Regards,
Glenn

·
Registered
980 Posts
On the radio, I am not sure what or how much you want to spend, but I put this AM/FM CD/Cassette in my '70 XR7, it has a 10 disc CD changer in the trunk. I ordered it thru AutoKrafters...it really is a nice unit and has the "Walking Cougar" on the cassette door and a reproduction AM looking dial.

1970 Cougar Resto 012.jpg 1970 Cougar Resto 013.jpg

·
Registered
2,991 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well guys thanks for the info.

Didn't last long, I bought the car to drive but wasn't planning on keeping it. even though it was a really nice car.

15 days and it is gone. Guess I priced it too cheap. Put a for Sale sign in it 3 days after buying it and drove to a local cruise in. Some guys I know were all over the car when we got done with dinner and one was sending pictures to another guy I know that is a mercury guy, bought a 69 Cyclone 428CJ new. That was the only advertising I did. rain and schedules he finally came and looked at it. Well last night he picked it up.

Sorry to see it go, What a great car

Looks like a good group of guys here, I might check back in from time to time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts