Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I never had a Cougar before, so figured for the price i got it for, figured i would try n save this old dogs life. Its a '72 Xr7, i know it has a 2v motor, floor boards and underside and the trunk look pretty solid under carpet, basically the biggest issue is the quarter rust and rust starting on the bottom of front fenders. These were pics i got when i went to go pickup her up. before pics i guess lol. The car was in running condition as the owner is a good friend of mine. It's sat now for about a year not running he moved it to his junk car area after a guy that was going to repair his radiator up'd and disappeared with it..lol, Any way its been sitting for sometime and i've been quiet bored here lately so i picked it up. I was hoping that it was a '71 model b/c of the difference in the hp/tq numbers. I've been told the '72 ratings were 163hp and 280 torque @ the wheels? i figured now i have cleaned motor up some and have it in running condition with new colling components,etc. might look into getting a pair of Aussie heads and a nice all around cam, headers and exhaust and intake carb. For now body work will have to wait til spring. Lemme know if u guys have any advice/ sites that have good replacement body parts, so far i have a mustangsunlimited.com catalog....unfortunately i don't see quarters anywhere in that catalog for 71-72's...Thanks looking to bring this cat back to life from top to bottom.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Welcome to the madness !

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, i'm sure i have my work cut out for me, i think cougars pretty awesome...so well worth the effort...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol RUNnWYLD i had a whole post up that i cant see maybe under approval i put 4-5 pics on that since i did the post w/ pics post seems to have disappeared?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

here's all the pics i took when i went to go pic the car up, have everything cut out for me, quarters are the biggest thing, i know the 72's had the sae net hp/tq from what i saw it said the 351c 2v in the car has 163hp 280tq...i plan on getting some Aussie head to try n gain back some compression the older ones had, aftermarket cam, headers exhaust n other bolt ons....wanna try n keep everything performance wise to what was avaiable in the 70's era not too worried about going real fast just think ca is a cool car, and wanted some that made a stamp in history. i ordered a mustangs unlimited parts catalog havent seen a repo quarters in there so still on search for ones better then mine

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Nothing wrong with doing your first post in 7th place...

Where's the pics?:lolani:

welcome

Jean

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Of course you must know --- we like pics! Welcome

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea guys i think my 1st post is under review i've posted 2 sets of pics for this thread, so up to administrator lol, yea check back i guess i posted mess load....thanks for the welcomes...sure the pics will pop up soon :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts