Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,
I'm new here (hope posting in correct place...) and I'm a bit far away from most part of people here (I think).
I live in Italy near Florence, in Europe, I'm a car collector and I own a '70 XR-7 convertible 351C.
My '70 is an export car and has been sold new in Italy back in 1970.
If this is not enough peculiar for you, well, I know about this forum from a friend here in Italy who owns a '70 Camaro and asked about a good forum on NastyZ28 (a forum on 2nd gen F-body).
I also own other european and american cars but now the cougar is the queen of my garage.
In this moment I need some spare parts for my '70, and I need some advice where to buy these.
I need:
- rear quarter glass (tinted green)
- power windows lock button (I don't know its real name, it's the button that locks all the windows)
- water temperature sending unit
- wiring manual
- horn rubber switch (I don't know its real name, It's a switch inside the steering wheel, if you tighten the wheel the horn sounds)

Main issue is shipping to Europe, so I'd like to buy everything from 1 seller and pay once.
I'm open to any suggestion.

Many thanks for any help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just forgot,
I need some info about repro parts quality also....

For example I saw here that repro water temperature sending unit can read higher value ???
Repro power windows lock switch are good?
How about horn rubber switch??
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
There are several vendors for Cougars here that probably will have what you need.
http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/Cougar.asp?CatKey=Cougar&SRCCODE=MUCWEB

http://www.autokrafters.com/

http://www2.cougarpartscatalog.com/

http://www.johnsclassiccougars.com/

I have bought from all three of these vendors, and have had good luck with all. Original parts are always best, and there are some reproduction parts that have a bad reputation.
Some parts are just more expensive for Cougar, as they didn't make as many as Mustang, or Camaro, or some of the other , more popular models.
If your car has the "rim Blow" horn, those are a pain in the butt! But the switch is available.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Agreed, and they are expensive shipping. But they sell the parts...These places I will recommend, as I have had good luck with them. There are a couple of other places, that I will not recommend......"K" Cough cough...

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
I agree with bill on MU.

I got a pass inner fender apron for the hood hinge, wrong stamping, totally junk so i sent it back and gonna get my pieces needed thru west coast classic cougars. Never had a issue with parts thru them.

thanks
pat

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
I would recommend one of the Cougar only vendors.
I have a tinted rear window glass if you can not find one but have no idea what shipping would cost and if it would make it to Italy in one piece. :)

The temperature sender is a very common part and should be available from many vendors.

Some vendors I would check with are
West Coast Classic Cougars
Johns Classic Cougars
Kens Cougars

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My first try was on mustang unlimited 'cause I know that a lot of parts is common and a friend of mine with a '68 'stang buy parts here.
But I can't find any cougar-only part, so I ask here.
And I have done a goooood thing, thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Hi everybody,
I'm new here (hope posting in correct place...) and I'm a bit far away from most part of people here (I think).
I live in Italy near Florence, in Europe, I'm a car collector and I own a '70 XR-7 convertible 351C.
My '70 is an export car and has been sold new in Italy back in 1970.
If this is not enough peculiar for you, well, I know about this forum from a friend here in Italy who owns a '70 Camaro and asked about a good forum on NastyZ28 (a forum on 2nd gen F-body).
I also own other european and american cars but now the cougar is the queen of my garage.
In this moment I need some spare parts for my '70, and I need some advice where to buy these.
I need:
- rear quarter glass (tinted green)
- power windows lock button (I don't know its real name, it's the button that locks all the windows)
- water temperature sending unit
- wiring manual
- horn rubber switch (I don't know its real name, It's a switch inside the steering wheel, if you tighten the wheel the horn sounds)

Main issue is shipping to Europe, so I'd like to buy everything from 1 seller and pay once.
I'm open to any suggestion.

Many thanks for any help!
Greetings! One of the main frustrations I hear from overseas customers is that many places here in the US only ship UPS which can often cost 3 or 4 times what USPS Priority does. Another frustration is companies that trickle in back-orders one at a time in multiple boxes. We use Flat Rate Boxes whenever we can so often a smaller order only costs $25-35 to ship. We actually helped develop that power window lock out switch, it is a winner!

·
Registered
936 Posts
What's almost more concerning for you is getting the wrong part and having to pay to ship it back. Go with a Cougar only vendor like WCCC (Don Rush). You will be treated fairly and honestly, as well as intelligently to get the correct part. Ciao!

Joe Valenti
(Mi Familia de Montedoro Sicilia)

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Just putting my two cents in, one and half really, but I have done business with WCCC and Johns Classic Cougars. Both Top Notch. I have had to call West Coast Classic Cougars with many questions that are probably very minor to most people. These guys always treat me top notch and honestly go out of there way to accomodate me. I honestly feel like I am being waited on when I talk to them.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
If it will help, I have US Army friends in Vicenza who might be able to accept the parts for you mailed by US Post Office to an APO address, and then you can drive up the Autostrada through the Appenines to collect them. This way, you can get cheaper US postal rates, and have less trouble with customs. I have to look, but I may know someone near Livorno (Camp Darby) in Tuscany who might be able to do the same thing.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
If it will help, I have US Army friends in Vicenza who might be able to accept the parts for you mailed by US Post Office to an APO address, and then you can drive up the Autostrada through the Appenines to collect them. This way, you can get cheaper US postal rates, and have less trouble with customs. I have to look, but I may know someone near Livorno (Camp Darby) in Tuscany who might be able to do the same thing.
Wow Randy, That is HUGE! With that (potential) offer it costs about the same to ship as if you were down the street from WCCC! Nice...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts