Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I own a 70 Cougar and I'm almost ready to put it back together. I stripped it 6 years ago for a restoration and now its time to get it back together. It's a 351C 4 speed car, 9 in. with 3.91 gears.
I came across a part I cant remember where it goes. I moved and all my stuff was mixed up and missplaced, doh. Hope someone here can help.
It has a date code of DOAF-9E718 with a yellow stamp 9M4S. I know it came out of the Cougar but cant remember where, I lost all my pictures and drawings (plus being 6 years), here's a picture. Thanx for the help.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
here's my car

Modified Mark passed this site on to me and said someone here might be able to help with my question.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Part Identification

That part is part of your emissions system. Kinda hard to believe, I know. The box will mount to the drivers' side torque box inside of the footwell adjacent to the parking brake release. The plug that comes out will go to a transducer type device that will connect your lower and upper speedometer cables together. You do have two, right? Well you should. This monitors your speed. The vacuum ports on it will go to two vacuum lines that will exit the firewall just beneath the drivers side shock tower brace. There should be a grommet moulded around the lines to plug the hole where the lines come through, so it will look clean. The vacuum lines go to two small straw-sized metal tubes that run on the inboard side of the drivers' side valve cover. They interface with the cars' vacuum system to monitor manifold vacuum at different times to advance or retard timing for optimum emissions. If I skipped some details, forgive me as this device is a bit uncommon and it has been a while since I have seen the routing. P.S. I'm always looking for Eliminator specific items, as I have four of them (and looking for more). Cool site!

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx alot for that, much appreciated, I remember now.
I'm looking for afew things as well. Someone ripped off my front spoiler, and my kitty on the cas gap door,:( and I cant find them around here. Any help would be gratefull.

Rick

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx alot Mark, this seems like a very good place for help on the Cougar. I might be asking alot of stupid question for the next few months. I stripped my car 6 years ago and lost most of my files and pictures. DOH.
Least I havent stripped the 68 Fairlane, yet, ahahahaha. Here's a picture of it right now.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HHMMM, is this place always this quite, or is it cuz it's sunday.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts