Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today i mosied on over to Kragen to pick up my new heads for my 69 windsor motor. To my dismay they won't be coming in until monday. So i thought i'd take this time to be sure i have everything I need. I got a look under my valve covers today, and all looks well, but i'm putting in new lifters and pushrods just for good measure. So, once i pull it all off, aside from gaskets, sealant, moly lube(I think that's what it's called), sealant, and wrenches. are there any other special tools i would need?

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
are springs included assembled on the heads, are they good enough for the cam choice??? If not, you'll need a spring tool. Are you going to degree the cam, or just plug it in???? Do you have a new timing chain too, worth it now if the chain is stock, get a double roller. Might as well get a new thermostat too while its apart. Also antifreeze, oil, oil filter, plus another oil and filter for after cam break in. Good luck and double check everything.

Rick

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
in addition to dark's comments...
an extra set of valve cover gaskets.
You may have to readjust the valves after it breaks in.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hadn't planned on replacing the cam, just heads, unless there's something i didn't know? I'll pick up an extra set of valve cover gaskets too.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I don't know about windsor's but the end seals on cleveland intake gaskets suck. I never use them. I just squirt RTV on them and wait for it to skin over before I put on the intake.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
ok, Im not sure of the spring pressure on the new heads (stock, edel's,???). They could be stiff, so it may wreck the stock(???) cam,. Fingers crossed there not to harsh :D I mis-read your post, I thought you were replacing the cam too, sorry. All that expense and using the stock cam, your not getting full potential of the new heads (if there edel's). If there stock replacement, then no worries :D

Rick

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Their not really stock heads, i couldn't afford an upgrade, so i'm trading in for a slightly upgraded stock style head. Hopefully they won't be in for very long and i can sell them when i get a set of gt-40s, windsor sr's, or if i get a money tree, maybe some trick flows. But i'll be sure to lube em up real nice and hope for the best.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts