Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have installed an Edlebrock 289 intake and a Holley 650 carb along with a petronics system and found out today that I have a valve issue in a couple of cylinders. I am contemplating going with new heads or with having the old ones reworked.
The heads I am considering are the Eldlebrock "E-Street" and "performer". Has anyone installed these heads and have any feedback to give? The rest of the engine in basically a stock 302, does not have 4V heads. The cam was changed by the previous owner and appears to be a fairly mild cam, not far from the stock one.
Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks Charlie

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It has come to the point where I either need to have the old heads re-done or new ones installed. I have intake leaks on 2 cylinders. I suppose I could go cheap and just replace the 2 vallves that are bad but the labor to take the heads off and then re install is close to $1000. and then need to have heads worked. Wonder if it might be better to go with a new set of aluminum heads and have it all new? Any suggestions?? Current heads are stock heads, not 4V heads.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Honestly - by the time you get them done right (hardened seats/new valves, probably should get the springs...) you are at the cost nearly of the E-heads anyway. Go with the modern better breathing heads - it's money well spent, and you get to drop a few pounds!!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Unless there is some redeeming quality about the car as a whole, meaning a very low mileage bone stock beauty, your stock heads have just become scrap. Upgrade to modern technology for less money. Seems like a "no brainer". I've tried giving away used small block heads with no takers. I currently have some FE heads that are heading to the same scrap yard.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems like you guys are thinking along the same line as I am. I was thinking of getting roller tip rockers and new aluminum heads along with new valves, springs, keepers, the whole nine yards. anyone have sugestions for a basically stock engine? It was "rebuilt" in 1997. From the paper work I got from the previous owner, it looks like the exhaust valves were replaced but not the intakes, hence the problem now... The machine shop lists the following: Re-Ring kit, Cam Up Grade, R&R Cam Bearings, R&R Core Plugs, 8 Used Exh Valves, V-8 Cast Iron Job, Thermal Clean Block, Clean Intake Oil pan and Valve cvers. Looks like he did what he had to do. Work was done less than 1000 miles ago so hoping bottom end is good. compresion runs 140-150 on most cylinders and worst one is at 70 and one at 125. Mechanic tells me that they are leaking through the intake valves.
Any suggestions on heads appreciated, currently looking at a couple of different Edlebock heads.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess what I would like to accomplish is to fix the problem and to gain horsepower but still keep its street manners. would love to get around 300 hp out of this 302....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts