Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1970 Mercury Cougar XR7 with 53K original miles Vin # OF93H503958. Can someone decode the Vin for me an tell me what I got? It is dark green with green interior an no spoiler 351 Winsor/Cleveland with 2 barrel an single exhaust an auto trans. An on the tag on the driver's door it says NOT FOR TITLE OR REGESTRATION. Does anybody know what that means on it?

·
Registered
913 Posts
You need to give us the information from the door tag to be able to help you!

·
Registered
389 Posts
all the tags from that era had not for title and registration noted on them- they "are" the same vin info as the dash plate....reason i say "are" is because they are supposed to be. but doors are so easily replaceable and swappable they put that note on there so in case the door was removed or replaced, its already noted not to use that number. the one on the dash is the one to use. should be the same unless someone replaced the door tho. and put the trim codes and such up here for us to decode for you plz.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Marti report. Ain;'t free but it has all the detail. google it.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Kal, here's the breakdown of the VIN:0-Year 1970, F-Built at Dearborn Assembly Plant, 93-XR-7 HT, H-351-2V (Cleveland/Windsor, the Marti report should tell) & 503958-Cougars start with 5 in the VIN, 3958 Mercury scheduled for production at Dearborn. Also, MartiAutoWorks can supply you with a new door tag. Here's the link to MartiAutoWorks: www.martiauto.com/ . Also, welcome to MCNET. John

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Early VIN number, likely built in August of 1969.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Engine I.D.-Look at the fuel pump on the driver's front corner of the engine. Windsor-mounting bolts are at 9 and 3 o'clock. Cleveland's are at 12 and 6 o'clock.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok thanks an can you tell me some general info on these cars? I had a 88 Cougar LS back in 96 right out of high school an it was a good car. I bought this one for $2,500 the guy who I got it off of his son got killed in a car wreck back in 93 an the guy had new tires an new headliner put on after his son got killed. An he said he drove in up an down the driveway every so often an has not had it running in 4-5 years & his son bought it back in 85 one month out of high school an loved the car. Guy said if his son would have been in the Cougar they would have lived a drunk driver hit them head on with them in a Chevette. Said his son bought it from AZ an when I looked in the car in the console I found the owners manual with the dealer card filled out of the 1st owner on the car. The interior is in A1 shape drivers fllorboard needs replaced an drivers seat has a tear in it on the left side an console lid need replaced other than that look great door panels an everything looks like it was made yeaterday an nice an clean looking. Only thign I see wrong with it is hood hinges need oiled replace drivers quarter glass fix some rust spots here an there on it an replace drivers floor board an fix the door handles you have to push down on the door handles to open the car an trunk seal needs replaced an new wiper blades. Other than that it looks good to go.

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
It sounds like you have a nice car to work with. We tell all new guys PICTURES. There is a wealth of information here and good people willing to help with knowledgable(sp check) its late,good advice.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
can you post pics on here with under 25 posts? if not I got the pics an can send them to someone to upload on here if they want.

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
I dont think that matters. Or at least it didnt used to.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey oldwood thanks for posting it. An do you know were I can get some parts catalogs for this car? I need a driver's quarter glass an some other stuff for it.

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
There are a few really good parts guys that frequent Cougar net on a regular basis. WCCC promotes our cars in a big way and I have had good dealings with John Benoit as well. I am not sure I have Johns name right but someone else will correct me if I'm wrong. You cant go wrong buying parts from these guys. They have all you need and they are 100% Cougar.

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
Oh yeah, no problem Kal. It really does look like you have a good car to start with. Have you fired it up yet? Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Have not tried to start it yet just bought a new battery an battery terminals for it an plan to change all that out tommorrow an put some gas in it an see if it starts.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts