Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys, I new here. Normally a Mustang guy. However, I have had a few Cats and always liked them. Here is my question:
I have been offered a 68 Cougar. XR-7, Red, red interior, white top. Runs, but needs valve seals (bad), and restoration. Guy says it is one of the Cale Yarborough specials, or something like that. Body is just pretty decent, with the exception of the roof area near the back window, under the vinyl roof. Needs some POR-15 attention really badly.
How can I check this car out for authenticity? Original motor by the way, with original 4V-carb. Auto, PS, air, console car. Car has no distinctive badges inside or out to identify it as anything special by the way.
Would appreciate some info.
Thanks,
OkieHog

·
11,000 Posts
What's the VIN and door tag say?

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Welcome Don, lets get cracking and figure this car out for you so you can pick it up :) Whats the VIN and door tag and we'll decipher it. What size motor is in it???

Rick

·
Registered
3,371 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Sounds like a nice car.
Welcome to our Cougar Forum!
Judy

·
Registered
408 Posts
Do you mean a Dan Gurney Special? I'm not much help with 68's but I know a little about these.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, still working on the deal

I appreciate all the feedback. Have not been able to reach the guy today to get the VIN and data info. And yes, I actually meant a Dan Gurney special and not a Cale Yarborough. I hope to get ahold of the owner early next week to do a lot closer inspection and get the numbers. Can anyone please tell me what #s I need to look for?
Thanks again!
OkieHog

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, got with the guy just awhile ago. Got some numbers.
VIN shows the car is actually a 67 and not a 68.
VIN 7F93A...... and it appears to be a relatively late car.
Body 63-B
Color- T
Trim--6D
Date--07F
DSO--22
Axle--1
Trans--W
So, what can you guys tell me?
I am looking at this car to sell. I have too many other major projects to work on right now.
This car will need a bit of floor work, but not full floors. Small rust in front of each rear wheel. Doors and fenders appear to be in good condition.
Glass is good. Door panels are pretty decent, and dash is not cracked, but is showing a bit of warpage, although nothing real bad.
Any help appreciated.

·
Contributing Member
797 Posts
My opinion, don;t buy the cat to resell her. I see you're a mustang guy. If ya wanna buy herm then do it to restore her. There's a lot fewer cats around then mustangs (My opinion, will be worth more in the future). If you buy her, put her away until you have time for her. Good Luck.

Sensei69

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Don't just buy it t sel it ...my.02

Don

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
maybe he can buy it and sell it to one of our members close to him :) Take some pix, and hopefully someone can help decode the VIN for you. Be nice guys, least he's not parting it out for his Mustangs,lol.

Rick

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
OkieHog said:

VIN 7F93A...... and it appears to be a relatively late car.
Body 63-B
Color- T
Trim--6D
Date--07F
DSO--22
Axle--1
Trans--W
7 = 1967
F = Dearborn, Michigan
93 = XR7, Hardtop
A = 289-4V

No 63B, but 65B = XR7, Hardtop
T = Cardinal Red
6D = Dk. Red Levant Leather and Dk. Red Natural Leather
07F = June 7 build date
22 = DSO Dallas, TX
1 = 3.00:1 Non-locking
W = C-4 automatic

The VIN will not say if it is a DGS, the best way to find out is to contact Kevin Marti at www.martiauto.com

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I agree...don't buy to sell. KEEP.
I can't get rid of anything.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Resale!

So how much are you going to ask? If its cheap enough, I might save you a lot of trouble, I would love to have another...can you post pictures? Are you willing to deal?
Where out of Ardmore are you/the Cougar at?
shane:D

·
11,000 Posts
If it is a Dan Gurney Special it won't affect the value of the car. The equipment and condition are all that really matter. The Dan Gurney sales promotion added little to a '67 or '68 Cougar other than a sticker in the window. In 1967 a chrome engine dress up package consisting of valve covers (plain chrome plated steel) and air cleaner (lid only) was part of the package along with deluxe turbine style wheel covers.

These days turbine wheel covers are not considered desirable. The chrome dress up kit is neat but would not improve the value of the car to any significant degree.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
DGS

Thanks Royce, I would have been asking eventually, The next Cat will be a street/STRIP car. I wont be needing the hubcaps.
The red on red scheme sounds great. If I repainted the car It would be solid red.

·
11,000 Posts
The color scheme being a good one definitely helps value. Red on red is about as good as it gets.

·
Registered
337 Posts
OkieHog said:

I am looking at this car to sell. I have too many other major projects to work on right now.
Take it from a fellow Mustanger... Cats are pretty neat cars too, and MUCH rarer. If you don't want it, pass on the location to the folks here.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Oki, Are you still there? Are you thinking about selling the car, or did you mean you thinking about buying the car?

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
red leather interior is quite diffrent and valuable. so its better if you are going to sell it sell it here and that way you have a better cougar audience.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts