Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys..
im new to the cougar world and the forum! im looking for a 67 or 68 cougar.
is there any real big difference between the 2 years?
anything to be on the lookout for between the two years?
i have a REAL nice HARLEY im trying to sell or trade!!
thanks for any help!
-John
"Hitman149"

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
The front suspension on the '67 is mostly a one-year design. The steering wheel is also a one-year design as is the gauge cluster bezel, but those are harder to spot.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Mainly engine, performance and trim options. Electrical systems were more refined in '68 and are not interchangeable to '67 without modification. Body panels are interchangeable, exception to the addition of safety side marker lights mandated in 1968.

1967 Cougars
models; Standard, XR7, GT, XR7 GT and
Dan Gurney Special
engines; 289 and 390cu.in.
1968 Cougars
models; Standard, XR7, GT, XR7-G and GT-E
engines; 302, 390, 427 and 428cu.in.

Interiors have a difference in the patterns for the stitching on the seats and an introduction of map pockets in the door panels for 1968.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
welcome.

There also is the cougar letters which are in a block on '67's and in script on '68's.

·
Registered
97 Posts
It's not the big things, it's the ones:uhoh: Motor mounts and headlight switch to name two. And don't forget the early & late version of the 67. The guys at WCCC can keep you straight whichever you choose. Spend some time looking through their online catalog & notice how often 67 parts are listed separate from the 68.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Engine selections for 67 was a 289 2bbl, 289 4 bbl, or the big block 390 4 bbl. And for 68 besides a few 289s being made you had a 302 2 bbl, 302 4bbl, 390 2 bbl, 390 4 bbl, 427 4 bbl and a 428 4 bbl. (cobrajet) The 427 & 428 are rare.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Beside all the real differences, There are personal preferences, Look at the 67 then the 68, Biggest appearance on the outside for me is the side markers. I like them. There are also several differences inside in style. XR7, standard, console or no, rally clock or sliding compartment. Most all of that is personal preference. I am biased as I am trying to duplicate my first car.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Mainly engine, performance and trim options. Electrical systems were more refined in '68 and are not interchangeable to '67 without modification. Body panels are interchangeable, exception to the addition of safety side marker lights mandated in 1968.

1967 Cougars
models; Standard, XR7, GT, XR7 GT and
Dan Gurney Special
engines; 289 and 390cu.in.
1968 Cougars
models; Standard, XR7, GT, XR7-G and GT-E
engines; 302, 390, 427 and 428cu.in.

Interiors have a difference in the patterns for the stitching on the seats and an introduction of map pockets in the door panels for 1968.

So when you say "mandated" does that mean if you register a 68' does it absolutely have to have side marker lights. I have 67 fenders but a 68 body and vin #

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
front disc brakes , prop valve ,center grill sections , headlight door actuator method , inside door handles , inside window knobs , dash knobs , brake peddle ,possibly gas peddle , method of holding std dash trim to dash(screws vs clips) ,vinyl roof attachment over the windows ,dash pad , knob on "garage door "on std consul--consol pad and the list goes on
doctordesoto

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so a XR7 dash (toggle switches??) is diff than a standard dash?? cause i've seen 67/68's with diff dash's?? lol

1 - 20 of 31 Posts