Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the carb, coil distributor and cap, rotor, plug wires.

There was a fire and the Insurance guy just left. The 73 XR-7 has (had); Pertronix Ignitor 1 in a better than stock Distributor- I forgot which one. The Coil was a 40,000 or 45,000 aftermarket; but not flame thrower, model. I want to replace them with the same set-up for now, so I can get back on the road sooner. I'd like to make the Duraspark II upgrade; but its gonna rain all week and I don't have a garage.

Who makes a good Distributor?
Do I need a 40,000volt coil for Ignitor I ?
Cap, rotor, plug wires- Do I want solid core? Aluminum OR copper set?

The carb is the stock 2 bbl for a 351C. They will spring for a new one; but I guess they are no longer on the shelf? Good source?

Thanks for helping me get back on the road.

Ed

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Just wondered, ARE YOU HAPPY WITH YOUR INSURANCE MAN?

In a case like this, did they give you a set amount, or are they going to pay you for what you need. How will they handle your labor?

Your comments are most welcome, IF YOU WISH.

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I like Mallory distributors, but MSD's are great too. Do NOT get solid core wires, I don't even know why they offer them anymore. They can't be used with electronic ignition, so only work with points ignition. They are for racing only since they cause interfeance with anything that is electronic, including radios, and all race cars these days use electronic powered everything, so not sure why they even make them.

You may even be able to get a distributor from Pertronix that is ready to go. I am not a fan of the can type coils, but that is the hot rodder in me speaking. Either way, I would suggest an epoxy filled coil if you get a can type.

When you say aluminum or copper, are you refering to the cap and rotor? If so, I would say copper, conducts electricity better and doesn't burn as easily.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HAPPY? In a word... NO.

I have known this guy since he was in 10th grade. I consider him a friend; but I have yet to hear from him directly regarding this matter. The adjuster came by and seemed like a good guy; but I am supposed to turn in a parts price estimate to include all parts he thinks should be covered. I just got to looking at the car again and I am wondering if the A/C compressor should be looked at as well. I cannot test this part, as I can't run the vehicle. The upper radiator hose burnt through at the elbow, and the compressor is possibly nearer than the rubber hose. Since the oil on rubber seals in the compressor may have been affected, I don't want to get hosed over this additional part once the rest of the work is complete and the car is running again and it proves to be ruined.

He said they mean to pay me for my labor; but I get the feeling that the cost of me doing the job is going to be less by hundreds. The hood has to be removed and painted top and bottom so they will apparently figure materials and labor and have me pay a shop to do it- same with the air cleaner.

My worst fear is that they will low-ball the job (what they will pay me, and I may get reamed on the paint- so I'll have to pay the shop the difference they charge me with the money the insurance company pays me for my labor. If it looks like they are gonna go cheap, I'll have a "DO IT ALL" shop tow her away and repair it to "PRE-LOSS CONDITION".

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
You need to advise him that there may be HIDDEN DAMAGE. Such is common in auto repairs such as yours, and allows you to go back for more funds.

I wish you well,

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fastcat, I had an Ignitor 1 in it; but I was thinking I would upgrade to a pertronix distributor- only thing I hate is that the Distributor, when it blows, will be a PITA to fix on the road. At least with the Ignitor, I could carry a spare- and if I am real smart I could install the ignitor with quick-disconnect- setting up the spare with the same. I blew the Ignitor on my hunting truck a few years ago and I've feared the same on the Cougar since then- litterally dead in the middle of the road. No sputtering, no clue it's going. I was going uphill in rush hour traffic in the inside lane, bumper-to-bumper in a construction zone.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I am using a Petronix igniter III with their 60,000 volt epoxy coil with my stock motorcraft dist. I also keep in the vehicle a new set of points and condenser in the event of an ignition failure.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
MSD billet distributor, MSD 6A control, MSD Blaster coil, Taylor HEI wires.
What I have and what I would choose for dependable no-maintenance hi performance driving. No spares needed.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I have a similar MSD setup. It has been reliable. Except I had to replace the magnetic pickup in my distributor recently. Swapping it out was quick, easy and cheap (Amazon $30).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts