Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove my 70 XR7 to work yesterday, it was sunny and 72 degrees here, when I went home the traffic was typical for 4 PM, I was getting a lot of thumbs up and people pointing and waving...then, at the one and only stop light between me and the road home...I got behind a brand new Cougar, it was tapered on both ends, kind of like a turd. I looked it over and to be honest, it looked just like the other newer cars, if I hadn't seen it from behind and seen the word Cougar on the back of it, I wouldn't have given it another thought. It is a shame that something that turned so many heads yesterday, that is 40 some years old, has turned into just another overpriced car and that the only person that would have known it was a Cougar, was the owner.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I bet most folks who gave you the thumbs up or waved didn't realize your car was a Cougar, either. They just saw it as a cool old car.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I drove my 70 XR7 to work yesterday, it was sunny and 72 degrees here, when I went home the traffic was typical for 4 PM, I was getting a lot of thumbs up and people pointing and waving...then, at the one and only stop light between me and the road home...I got behind a brand new Cougar, it was tapered on both ends, kind of like a turd. I looked it over and to be honest, it looked just like the other newer cars, if I hadn't seen it from behind and seen the word Cougar on the back of it, I wouldn't have given it another thought. It is a shame that something that turned so many heads yesterday, that is 40 some years old, has turned into just another overpriced car and that the only person that would have known it was a Cougar, was the owner.

What sort of "new" Cougar are you talking about? Did I miss something? Are you talking about a 2000 year style?

Thanks,

·
Registered
628 Posts
Yeah, the newer cougars are pretty pathetic. There's a 22 yr old kid who works at Home Depot with me and he has a 2000 one (I believe); its the size of a saturn, is way under powered and can only be classified IMO as a girls car. Just like the volkswagon beetle, the mini cooper, mazda miata and those new smart cars that everyone around where I live is getting. I'll keep my rear wheel drive V8 and be happy as ever whenever I drive it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yeah, the newer cougars are pretty pathetic. There's a 22 yr old kid who works at Home Depot with me and he has a 2000 one (I believe); its the size of a saturn, is way under powered and can only be classified IMO as a girls car. Just like the volkswagon beetle, the mini cooper, mazda miata and those new smart cars that everyone around where I live is getting. I'll keep my rear wheel drive V8 and be happy as ever whenever I drive it.

I like the Mini Cooper but i agree with the rest.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Fortunately the newer Cougars were sold with the Ford badge and not as a Mercury here in Norway. I am glad it did as it is not the car we want to remember as the last Mercury Cougar.
Image2.jpg

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
, it was tapered on both ends, kind of like a turd.

LOL that pretty much sums it up! I'm not a fan either, but I'm not the demographic they were shooting for. Too little, to late to save the brand anyway....we will have to be sure and preserve the "good" ones for future generations.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Our babysitter has a 2000 Cougar. A few months back, my 10 year old daughter told me (to my horror) that she "doesn't want an old car like papa's." Instead she wants something "cool" like her babysitter's car. There you have it. Mercury's target demographic has been discovered: 10 year old girls and their babysitters.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts