Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this is the right place to post this, apologies if it should be in another section. :)

I'm a proud new owner of a '68 Cougar. J-code 302, C4, Dan Gurney Special. Built in San Jose, originally sold out of LA and never left as far as I can tell. Rust-free and black plates with current registration. :jump3:

It's got some quirks and needs some help here and there, but overall I don't think I could've found a more solid and original Cougar if I tried. Still has the original paint and interior, though the seats have some tears in the seams and the headliner needs to be replaced. But hey, I can't complain!

Looking forward to spending time on the forums. I had a '67 Mustang Fastback about 11 years ago, sold it like a dummy. So at least I'm not completely new to the cars. :)

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Welcome aboard. Pictures of your car are always helpful. Temecula....I've been there. My daughter lives in Escondido and we visit fairly often.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will definitely have pictures up tomorrow. :)

I just did some digging through the car and found...

Original owner's manual
Original 1968 Warranty Booklet
Original "Ownercard" from the first owner
Maintenance Cert and Owner Status sheet from the first maintenance at 3,221 miles on 12/5/1968 and performed at Van Nuys Motors where it was bought

How cool is that?

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Welcome to the Madness and Yes post pics please. I'm in Murrieta, Just down the road so maybe sometime I'll get to see it in person.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Temecula....I've been there. My daughter lives in Escondido and we visit fairly often.
Right on, we've been having some beautiful weather here for the past couple of days. Spring is coming! :)

Welcome to the Madness and Yes post pics please. I'm in Murrieta, Just down the road so maybe sometime I'll get to see it in person.
That would be great, it's always fun to have local enthusiasts. Are you planning on going to the Rod Run this weekend?

That's quite the list of cars you've got there, too. Wow!

I thought I had a set of 4 original Dan Gurney hubcaps in the trunk, but it turns out they're the Montego hub caps (Mercury logo in the center). Oh well, no loss. I wasn't planning on putting them back on anyway. :)

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
"That would be great, it's always fun to have local enthusiasts. Are you planning on going to the Rod Run this weekend?"

LOL.... I wasn't even aware it was this weekend. I may go, I'll give it some thought.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, so far so good...mostly. :)

There are a couple of vacuum leaks in the headlight system. One is under the dash, I can't sell if it's at the switch itself or closer to the firewall. Can only hear it when the switch is in the off position. The driver's side actuator has a leak at the shaft o-ring. The boots are in perfect shape, no tears, etc. If I move the cover up slightly the leak stops, move it a little more and it's back again. Both lights open fine, but only the passenger side closes. :(

I just fixed the sequential flasher unit, I pulled the cover off and found the center contact arm was sticking closed so I cleaned everything in there with some electronics cleaner, everything's shiny and moves freely now. Now I have to figure out why it's slow/there's more drain when signaling right compared to left. I don't know what's worse, electrical or vacuum gremlins. :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally some outside shots in the sun. :)

1213955080_4WaH5-S.jpg

1213955262_oxK5F-S.jpg

1213955345_aUqyD-S.jpg

And a little rumble to welcome spring. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmmm, trying to post some pics and a video, but it keeps telling me a mod has to approve my message. Weird, hopefully it/they will show up soon! :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Welcome... Glad to have you....

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Great color and good option list !

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great color and good option list !
Thanks!

Now I'm torn, I was going to go with a custom paint but seeing that it was 1 of 128 with this paint/trim combo...is that "rare" enough to add any value? I'm not much of a fan of green, but I don't want to end up doing something that will be a huge hit to its value.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Thanks!

Now I'm torn, I was going to go with a custom paint but seeing that it was 1 of 128 with this paint/trim combo...is that "rare" enough to add any value? I'm not much of a fan of green, but I don't want to end up doing something that will be a huge hit to its value.
What makes it rare is the Parchment Decor interior with Ivy Gold appointments, not the Augusta green. I'm of the opinion that for more common cars like yours, changing to a color available in 68 won't hurt the value. Your difficulty will be finding something offered in 68 that goes with the interior and is better than Augusta Green. Might as well drive a car you like rather than drive one you don't like so that the next owner can have it the way it was originally delivered.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What makes it rare is the Parchment Decor interior with Ivy Gold appointments, not the Augusta green. I'm of the opinion that for more common cars like yours, changing to a color available in 68 won't hurt the value. Your difficulty will be finding something offered in 68 that goes with the interior and is better than Augusta Green. Might as well drive a car you like rather than drive one you don't like so that the next owner can have it the way it was originally delivered.
Gotcha. It's not as if I ever plan to sell the car, but I do consider it more or less an "investment." The two colors I'm thinking of are a metallic midnight blue (Which I believe was available, but likely not THE color I'm actually thinking about doing) or a deep metallic burgundy. The Parchment upholstery wouldn't be too bad with those, IMO, so that leaves changing the carpet and that wouldn't be hard to put back to original color.

Anyway, that's down the road a way. Right now I'm focusing on the suspension and brakes. LCA bushings look new, UCAs look OK but one of the ball joints is toast so I've ordered replacements for both sides. Rear shackle bushings are wasted, so those will arrive tomorrow with the ball joints. I have a new master cylinder, new stainless brake lines for the front and new brake line for the rear sitting in the garage waiting to be installed.

Good times! :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts