Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 69 convertible. How can I tell if it's an XR-7? I have wood wheel, deluxe seating surfaces, wood grain dash, 351W, 4 Speed. There is also a penel above the radio that has some non working warning lights or the such. What are they for? HELP!!

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
do you have te VIN number?? thats one way to tell if its an XR7 or not. i think the VIN will be something along the lines of 9F94------- if its an XR7 Vert. 9F92------ if its a Standard Vert. above the radio should be a set of switches and not the light looking things. should have a tach as well in the 3rd pod of the instrument cluster. there is more to it but thats a start.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Now I know it's a standard. There are no switches above the radio. Some type of warning lights. Not working any ideas??

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
The warning lights are an option. The panel got instaled standard, but the circitry is only installed if optioned. I do not recall if the seat belt light (the first light closest to the driver) was standard in 69 but I know it is for 70. I haver the option on my 60 390 Cougar. It is called the "Convenience light panel"

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Well, generally the 4 light "visual check panel" as it is called usually has only one working light for the std. cougar unless it was ordered with some options.
The one usually working is the first one on the left. Your parking brake light that is red and flashes when on. the other lights are for door ajar, low fuel, ( both red ) and the last one is blocked off in nearly all. Most std. Cougars did not come with the low fuel or door ajar options although the slots are there and it was an option available. My std. convertible just has the first one, the parking brake on light and it works perfectly. Yours should to unless the switch on the parking brake foot lever is bad or the bulb is burned out. Both easy fixes. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
1badkat, e-mail me. I have a question for you.
Thanks, Brad

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That explains it! Thanks to all!

David

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Only 5,796 1969 Standard Convertables made!;) Great find!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts