Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guyz!! (& gals)

Coming Saturday I will be a very proud owner of a beutiful 1967 Mercury Cougar. Before this car I had a 1991 Toyota MR2 as a hobby car, so I'm in for a hell of a change ;)

It was always my dream to own an American Classic, and now it's coming true, nothing beats the sound of an American V8 rumbling, a sound ever so rare in this little country.

Ooo man, I am so happy, I can't wait!! :D

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Conga rats!!! Welcome to the site! Enjoy your new cat and of course we'll be needing to see the pictures!

Don

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
welcome aboard and enjoy. Just ignore the price of gas and run that baby, let others wish they were you. This is a great group and any question you may have will be answered enjoy your new ride and glad to see another fan.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Good for you and your new "old" car!! If I'm not mistaken I tought we had another from the Netherlands post before too. mm

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forums! Don't be shy and ask lots of questions...there is a priceless knowledge base here and a great bunch of cougar owners that will be more than happy to help you out! And to top it all off...it's a 67!! :D

PS...make sure to post some pics.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hey,

Congrats on the cat! where in the Netherlands are you from?
Nice to know I'm not the only one around driving (well not yet actually, got to take it to the RDW first) around in a classic cougar!

Good luck with it, lots of help from the guys out here.

Cheers,
Matthijs

·
Registered
433 Posts
Cougar in Italy too!

There is a 67 std. currently being restored here in Naples Italy at a shop near my work. The mechanic said the owner is from Rome. He's converting it to run on CNG too.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Be interesting to see who gets the prize for having travelled the farthest to that meet!
:p:
Seriously, it's great that Classics are appreciated everywhere.
Welcome aboard!
:D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey!

First off, thanks for the warm welcome!! Makes me feel right at home on the first visit ;)

Tim B said:
They must be rare around there. So far I've heard of them in S. Africa, Australia, Great Britain, France and God knows where else!
Indeed, they are pretty rare here, just the happier it makes me to own and cherish one of these babies!

Originally posted by texrep
... and of course we'll be needing to see the pictures!
Originally posted by bruter
PS...make sure to post some pics
If I may believe the weather dudes here the gods will be good to us around the time I can pick the kitty up, good chance I'll make some nice pics after I got her to her new home ... aww ... this all sounds so sweet, lol :rolleyes:

Originally posted by cougarguy
Just ignore the price of gas and run that baby
That's one of the good parts! The previous owner put an LPG installation in there, so I can run her on regular or LPG, and LPG costs only a third of regular here! Hurray!

Originally posted by Gulf00
Congrats on the cat! where in the Netherlands are you from?
Hoogerheide to be exact, little village bordering province Zeeland and the Belgian border.

Also originally posted by Gulf00
Nice to know I'm not the only one around driving (well not yet actually, got to take it to the RDW first) around in a classic cougar!
The RDW? Ouch, those guys can be buggers! Did you import it yourself?

Originally posted by Pelle
I´m a new Cougar owner too. Bought It a month and a half ago
Well congrats to you too, from one new owner to another :)

·
Registered
428 Posts
Well, yes I did import it myself, so there's lots and lots of work to do.
Did the fromt suspention rebuild already and changed the brake hoses.
Working on wiring harnesses right now.
Will be changing headlight units, get the engine rebuilt, secure the battery, get the wheels aligned and then she should be about ready to pass the test.
And that's when the fun really starts (I've been crowling through the garage for 4.5 months now, but still happy)!

What about yours, is it ready to drive?
Pretty good deal with the LPG; no road taxes, cheap a** insurance and cheap fuel!
Good luck waiting! Prepare to break some necks man. I've seen how the people stare at you when you're driving a 1990 Firebird v6, so the cat must be lethal!
:eek2:

Cheers!
Matthijs

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Geez, I can see it now... The CCOA European Nat's...
Don't forget the CCOA African Nats, and you get the added joy of seeing the Big 5.

Congrats to the new owners, ek hoop julle sal julle nuwe voertuie baie geniet, en wys vir die mense hoe n regte motor moet klink, hoop julle verstaan my ook.

Dayle

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
72cat said:

Congrats to the new owners, ek hoop julle sal julle nuwe voertuie baie geniet, en wys vir die mense hoe n regte motor moet klink, hoop julle verstaan my ook.

Dayle
Yeah. What she said. I think....:confused:
:p:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Congrats...welcome to the family!

BTW...what did he say?!?!:rolleyes: :)

·
Registered
428 Posts
Okay, I'll translate to proof it is understandable:

"I hope the both of you will enjoy your new vehicles, and let the people know how a real engine is supposed to sound, I hope you understand me too."

This is the same thing in the Dutch we speak over here (does look quite different, but there's lots of similarities):

"Ik hoop dat jullie beiden van jullie nieuwe voertuigen zullen genieten, en laat aan de mensen horen hoe een echte motor moet klinken. Ik hoop dat jullie mij ook verstaan."

If you think this is a strange language, wait what you'd see if it was in Swedish... ;)

Cheers,
Matthijs

P.S. You can learn SA Dutch from the labels of the great wine they make over there ;)

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
You can learn SA Dutch
Ahem, we call it Afrikaans over here. A mixture of Dutch and I think a bit of english and French. One of our ELEVEN official languages.:rolleyes:
PS: Thanks for the wine compliment.

BTW...what did he say?!?!
Bit of a gender misconception here.
Dayle

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
indeed, it is very understandable, funny ;)

Wow, I sure hope your cat gets through the test Gulf00!

Mine drives, and drives very well! I'm glad I don't have to start off doing lots of work on her (when work should be done, big chance I'll let the shop take care of it, I'll only do minor things...).
Over time I will make her even prettier though, new interiour, wheels, maybe even a new paintjob.... but that's all pretty far in the future, she looks very acceptable at the moment :)

Saturday I can just drive away and start enjoying her!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts