I had a 68 302 4v my senior year of high school 1980
And just bought this 2v in very nice shape -
What do I need to know the most ?
Everything works. Under 50k miles
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nice looking car! I'd say make sure she's mechanically sound safety wise (brakes, lights, etc.) and give her a good tune up so you have a baseline. Then just put some miles on and let her tell you what she wants. The West Coast Classic Cougar Youtube channel has tons of great videos to help you through most of the issues you'll encounter, and they sell just about everything you'll ever need. Great people, great service.

BTW, I graduated in '81 and had a '71 Torino Cobra at the time. I was looking for another one of those when I found my Cougar. Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm with Twerth! WCCC will get to be a great friend! Goods folks have helped me out with some of the simple stuff that I overlooked.

Graduated in '86 and when I was a sophomore a friend had a candy-apple red 68 XR-7 that he wanted to sell to me because he was going off to college. Mom said it was too much car for me! (Even though I drove a 76 Firebird the day I got my license!!!)

A friend I graduated with has a 68 and in 2000 sent me a FB MarketPlace ad with a 68 XR-7, 302 4bbl. So that is what I bought myself for my 50th bday. She runs like a champ and only thing I have done is a front end and Holley carb.

Oh! Drove car home after I bought it and I know exactly where I stopped first!

Good luck and you certainly have a beauty!

·
Contributing Member
1,941 Posts
I had a 68 302 4v my senior year of high school 1980
And just bought this 2v in very nice shape -
What do I need to know the most ?
Everything works. Under 50k miles
View attachment 118248
Your Cat looks like it just came off the showroom floor!

Brown World Publication Font Wood

What you need to know the most? You need to be able to fix problems that you may or will encounter.
Things brake or need adjusted. Maintenance, torque specs etc.

One of the first things I bought when I got my first Cougar was this and it's been a good friend for a long time.
It's got to be one of the best items you can buy for your Cat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Your Cat looks like it just came off the showroom floor!

View attachment 118255
What you need to know the most? You need to be able to fix problems that you may or will encounter.
Things brake or need adjusted. Maintenance, torque specs etc.

One of the first things I bought when I got my first Cougar was this and it's been a good friend for a long time.
It's got to be one of the best items you can buy for your Cat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, between the carshop manual and a great mechanic.. no worries. I got lucky as far as no rust, new top but inside in pristine! I am keeping it as much OEM as I can. I have a feeling it sat for quite a while, hence the new carb. Other than that? Just don't make them like they used to. My headliner fell down, reached out to WCCC and the new one is being installed as I type this. It is a Drake repro but as close as I could get.

It has always been my dream car and I and fortunate to get lucky. After almost 18 mos of research, matching numbers you cannot imagine, I have found that my baby was stored for a long time. Someone put the vinyl top on, same green metallic, spec OEM paint in 68. the carb and that is all I can tell as been done. That's after some older auctioneers looking her over, top to bottom. If you pop the hood you would swear it came out of MI in 68. Not to say I don't need to get some elbow work in there but once headliner is done and clean up the 302 it is time for show.

Again, I have waiting 2 years to get it to show, (just to show off like I am proud), and make new friends. Everyone goes to shows, big/small and comes back talking about all these Vettes. I always ask, "how many Cougars did you see?"

We are a good bunch for sure. We all look out for each other.

Derek

·
Registered
10 Posts
Forgot to add.. I am a computer guy by trade so I wanted some scems. You can get those at, WCCC. They have all the drawings, etc. that are OEM for no charge! No, I do not work for WCCC! I just love my dream car and did a lot of work and hope to pass along anything of help and West Coast is like family to me. My buddy that I graduated with has been out out to OR to see the shop / yard and it just told me that there was no better resource. Hard to find folks like that anymore.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Yes, between the carshop manual and a great mechanic.. no worries. I got lucky as far as no rust, new top but inside in pristine! I am keeping it as much OEM as I can. I have a feeling it sat for quite a while, hence the new carb. Other than that? Just don't make them like they used to. My headliner fell down, reached out to WCCC and the new one is being installed as I type this. It is a Drake repro but as close as I could get.

It has always been my dream car and I and fortunate to get lucky. After almost 18 mos of research, matching numbers you cannot imagine, I have found that my baby was stored for a long time. Someone put the vinyl top on, same green metallic, spec OEM paint in 68. the carb and that is all I can tell as been done. That's after some older auctioneers looking her over, top to bottom. If you pop the hood you would swear it came out of MI in 68. Not to say I don't need to get some elbow work in there but once headliner is done and clean up the 302 it is time for show.

Again, I have waiting 2 years to get it to show, (just to show off like I am proud), and make new friends. Everyone goes to shows, big/small and comes back talking about all these Vettes. I always ask, "how many Cougars did you see?"

We are a good bunch for sure. We all look out for each other.

Derek
I take my car to shows all the time. I’m almost always the only Cougar. If there is another Cougar it’s a 67/68.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts