Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

I joined here just a short time ago in anticipation of the purchase of my 1967, 37xxx mile Dan Gurney Special survivor! I now own it and have been doing some research and digging on the car. Nothing has been replaced. I think that the spark plugs are even original! I have taken pictures of every step of dismantling, which is not much. I am moving nice and slow.

Just so everyone knows, I am versed in the Mustangs, Falcons, Broncos and Fairlanes of the mid sixties on to 1971.

I want to be able to help with anyone who is restoring and wants originality. My car is not perfect but if you are looking for specific items, locations, factory markings, I may be able to help, and would be happy to do so!

Here is the rundown on my car: 1967 Cougar Dan Gurney Special 289 4V. Put in storage in 1985, pulled out in 2004 to sell, sold, and then put back into storage until 2005-2006. The car was out until 2007 then in storage until April of 2014. It was on the trailer last week and is now in my garage! 37,xxx miles. I have factory wax pencil markings on the headlight assemblies (X) and on the rocker panel, under the sill plate, drivers side (12C). In the parenthesis is what is written on the car. The factory vinyl top looks like new. The only bad thing is a fender bender in the early 80's and the car was color changed (poorly) to black from Sage Gold (code Z).

All of the Gurney special items are on board, although someone painted the valve covers. I scratched off some paint and the chrome lives below.

So, I can't wait to get deeper into my first Mercury, and thanks for everything, In advance!!

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Welcome, congrats and good luck with your new project.

When I am made aware of such low milage on a vintage, I always wonder who could afford to buy new cars not to drive them... this car is < 38K miles in ± 17 yrs during its first cycle on the road (67-85), i.e. < 2,300 miles avg. per year. And this calculation excludes its little come back in mid 2000!

Do you think it might have gone through 1 full cycle on the odometer (100,000 miles) in such way that its actual milage would rather be 137,xxx miles, especially when considering that it needed repainting - including engine - at one point in time?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dan, Thanks for the welcome. I'm gonna be knee deep in brakes soon, so thanks for the luck, too. My thoughts exactly on low mileage cars as well. The word from owner 2 (I am the third) is that the man who drove the car died and it sat in a garage in Chicago until 2004 which is when his wife sold it. It was out of storage for two years according to the second owner. I do have a signed paper from the original owner testifying to the original mileage, although I know this is weak. I do have some service receipts that go back to 2005 and the mileage recorded matches.

So, we shall see. So far, what I have seen is, that I don't think it has rolled over, but a few things have popped up the make me scratch my head. Give me a little more time and Ill hopefully know more!

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Look for original suspension parts, i.e. shocks, idler arm, which seem to be changed the soonest. Also wear on the driver seat, brake pedal pad, and steering wheel.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Welcome from a '68 DSG std hardtop survivor. Always good to see another survivor! I've been promising my ol' girl, a body tidy up for the last few years, but money comes and goes and I know once I paint it, there goes it's "original" paint job. As it is, it has suffered some panel damage in the past, enough to have had it's front bumper replaced, so most panels are a different shade of Lime Frost and quite a number of lil' dings on most panels and chrome trim. But she still photographs well.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
A whole week and no pics! What a tease! ;>P

Your first Mercury to boot.....obviously you made the right choice!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK guys and gals, the pictures are up under my profile. Now I am off to the tech section for the first of many, I am sure, of things that I will need advice/help/kick in the rear with.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Looks in real nice shape! Wonder what the deal with what looks like an official sticker went over the tag...? mostly torn away now.....

·
Registered
336 Posts
Thanks for posting pics, what is the red light between the heater controls and the headlight switch for? My '68 "Safety Precaution Notice" is stuck above the central air vents.

attachment.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not sure what you are referring to...above the data plate? I am assuming it was just a maintenance sticker. Were there other factory door stickers on the '67?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, sir, you are correct...hahahaha. (In the spirit of Ed McMahon on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts