Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a full new top installed on my 69. My trimmer is having a major problem with the top.
It just does not fit properley at the rear pillars, ie it cannot be pulled tight along the belt moulding and just looks ****** awful. the glass rear window part looks good and the front of the top seems to fit well? Has anyone else had problems or am I missing something? The top is by e z on. How much top should there be between the bottom of the glass and the moulding?

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'm not sure if this is your problem, but I was told recently by an upholstery shop that if a top sits in the box too long (couple years) before being installed, it can shrink and won't fit.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Only bought it 3 months ago! It just looks so badly cut around the back??
Rich,

Have your top guy call EZ-On's tech support line. My top is also EZ-On and it fits properly. I put it on myself and it was very diffcult, but I got it to fit properly eventually. I would not try that again! Did your top guy pay attention to the Mustang and Cougar pencil line marking along the rear edge? Same top but installed differently in this particular location depending on the application.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Bob I will pass that on to him! Also discovered the quarter pads were not included in the top kit! I guess that will make a major difference to the fit? Also can you tell me how much vinyl should be visible between the bottom of the glass and the moulding?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Thanks Bob I will pass that on to him! Also discovered the quarter pads were not included in the top kit! I guess that will make a major difference to the fit? Also can you tell me how much vinyl should be visible between the bottom of the glass and the moulding?
The top pad set is very important. As for the glass to trim, that can vary depending on how the curtain is installed. Mine is somewhat low due to a lousy installer (me!). It should be a few inches of vinyl at least and the vinyl the glass is pocketed in around the edge at the top of the glass should not show when the top is up (it's covered by the outer top material).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again Bob, will get a proper pad kit and let him have another go at it ! I am in England so it is not easy for me to see other cars!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts