Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey experts, I need some advice.

I picked up my 68 cougar 2 weeks ago and am having some problems with it and I'm not sure what to do. On the trip home it overheated so I replaced the radiator with a new 3 row, put on a new steel fan & shroud, hoses and thermostat.

It runs nice and cool now but when I got home I had a lot of foam in the radiator, I don't have a "puke bucket" and not sure if I need one but I'm losing coolant.

I also have exhaust coming out of the oil fill cap. I don't think I'm burning oil but having driven it long wnough to find out.

It stalls when it's warm and ideling, it has an electric choke but its not hooked up, could that be the problem?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
If your choke is not hooked up, is the choke stuck open or stuck closed? If the choke is restricting air, then it could very easily be causing your car to stall when warm just because it's now running WAY too rich (does your exhaust get sputtery and black? If so, it's rich). I'm not that versed with dealing with big porblems, but I've seen this happen a couple of times (my '60 Volvo and a friends '65 Mustang).

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
exhaust coming out of oil cap, and foam in rad, might mean blown head gasket :( When you changed rads, did you back flush your motor?

Rick

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The choke is not strieght up and down, if ststraight up is 0deg it's at about 25deg, and I guess it does get kind os sputtery but not really black, I'm not really sure how to hook up the choke it has 2 connection and neither are marked +/- and I'm notorious for breaking things just by screwing around, so I haven't touched it.

I did run a course of that prestone flush through the motor and 3 courses of just water till it ran pretty rust free, it was bad when I started.

As for the heads I am affriad to find out what is wrong with them. I don't like expensive news. The exhaust noise on the right side is nice and smooth and sounds pretty good, but the left side, with the oil cap has more of a pop to it and just doesn't sound right. I guess I will start with the gasket and cross my fingers.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
mmmmmmmmm free radiator brew.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Compression test??

Wouldnt a compression test help? I had a blown head gasket on a 4 cyl. ford on my brush chipper.the gasket blew between the cylinders 2 and 3. the compression test indicated a problem.1 and 4 were fine 2 and 3 leaked down. my 2.5 cents

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
test for hydro-carbons in the coolant.
is it idling fast?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
How do I test for Hydro Carbons.
I had an inspection done a week ago and they said it included a compression test and no negative result came back (beside exhaust leak and low oil pressure on idle), but when I started asking him about it he got agitated and said I needed to pay him $3500 for a rebuild & I should not have bought the car. I wont be going back there. I guess I sould run another test myself.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
$3500

I wouldnt deal with just any idiot who wants to charge 3500 for a "rebuild" and offers nothing else for information...
Did he offer a copy of an estimate, a breakdown of parts, any mention of a warranty? Demand more, or in my opinion you should take your business (MONEY!) elsewhere.

If you have water, steam, foam where you say, then you definatly need to tear that motor down. Not any one single synptom can be diagnosed, but put them all together and you have a blown head gasket, or broke a head. I think the best way to see is to do it firsthand.(If you can...) At this point you allready know the teardown is eminent, if you ever were going to modify your car now would be the time to be planning the modifications.
And above all try to relax, and keep you sense of humor.
I think I speak for most of the forum when I say I understand and sympathise with how you feel. I've been there.
Arrange a teardown to be performed by someone you can get references on how capable/knowledgable they are, and keep us informed
:D

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
I feel for you to many people out there who turn wrenches rip people off not all but to many today are replacement artist. My advice is dont get it rebuilt by any run of the mil machine shop, look for a place that specializes in hot rods and engine build ups. even if your doing a stock rebuild they will probably do a much better job and use better parts even though the cost may be more. remember junk in junk out. best not to skimp on engine rebuilds but my persoanl opinion and it all matters on your finaces.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Travis,
Call me this evening, 425-397-7284. I want to know who this shop was and see if I can offer you some help. Neal.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Git-em Neal. I hate those jerks that make the rest of us look like scam artist...:mad:

·
Registered
889 Posts
My guy

Hes about 10 min from home Mikes racing engines and machine shop heres his deal-The only thing he saves is the block and heads if there any good he trashes the rest then boils it and builds it up a basic job 15-1800 out the door if you want to beef it up he can do that.But he said thereis no way he will save anything.At least hes honest. I like that 514ci I saw on the net with all the trimmings 7000 + shipping I think it was a bored out 460. Oh by the way,you have to bring him the motor.He dosnt take out or install.turn out is about 2-3 weeks if he can take it right in

1 - 16 of 16 Posts