Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's looking like I'm going to have to replace the front rotors and pads here in a couple of months. The rotors are old and I was told they are too thin to scrub (or whatver they call it).

I've been looking around on line and it looks like I could replace just the rotors and pads with stock for about $250-300...but in looking around I found a kit that Wilwood has for $670 that comes with rotors, pads, calipers, bearings, and a whole lot of stuff. Anyone done anything like this?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Rotors and pads

klenzd,
Check Ebay for 68 brakes and rotors. ABC discount auto now sells online. I believe they sell the rotor for $99 a pair and the pads for $18. Thier distribution center is across the street from my office and the President of ABC is a Cougar owner, and a member of the Cougar Club of New Jersey. I think he may also be a mercurycougar.net member as well. I believe the rotors are American made, and I have bought countless parts from ABC over the last 15 years and they are a good group of people to deal with. ABC sponsors a number of classic car shows throughout the Philadelphia area all spring and summer, and they are one of the sponsors of the CCOA nats in June
Paul Garvin
69 XR7 Convertible

·
Registered
209 Posts
I see the Wilwood kit on eBay all the time for about $612. It looks like a good system; Brian Crisman has this set-up on his '68 and is happy with it.

I thought about this kit for my '70 as well, even bought the earlier spindles so I could put it on. Then I found another eBayer who sells slotted rotors to fit my current set-up for $129 a pair.

Between slotted rotors, semi-metallic pads and "harder" brake hoses I think I'll have enough improvement to notice. Eventually I will install rear discs; either the Wilwood kit or Crown Vic (which I've already got someof the parts for).

I'm a "spirited" driver, but not insane about speed, so I think this should do it...

Wiley
'70 XR7 conv, "GT" restomod

·
Registered
123 Posts
Paul: Do you have a web address for ABC auto? Thanks, Bob

·
11,000 Posts
Be aware that some of the bigger diameter aftermarket brakes need 16 or 17 inch wheels, they won't fit into stock 14" or even 15" rims in some cases.

I bought replacement rotors for a '68 at Pep Boys last year for $49.00 each. Pads at the local Auto Zone were $13.00. Check your local auto part stores, prices can be very reasonable. The stock disc / drum system is very good if it is maintained properly.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Beware Wilwood

Make sure you read the tech notes on the Wilwood kit. For years the kit they sold was for off-road use only? Why the rotor was a single metal disc -- not at all like factory with two discs cast together with cooling in the center.

You should check with their tech folks to make sure the kit of interest is DOT rated.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Bob,
ABC does not sell from their website directly. You can find the brake parts on ebay by typing in "68 cougar" in the search window. If your car is another year cougar, you can just type in whatever year car you have have. ABC currently has auctions running for both 68 and 69-70 rotors. If you want to check out their website anyway it is:

http://www.abcdiscountauto.com/

Every year ABC has a huge car show on father's day weekend. Over 500 cars show up anually. Here is a link to one of the photoi pages from the show. Look for the cougar about halfway down and all the way to the right!!

http://www.abcdiscountauto.com/2002show2.html

Paul Garvin
69 XR7 Convertible

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have the Wilwood kit on the front and rear of my 67 GT and couldn't be happier. It was an easy install and has great braking response. Any specific questions....ask away.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Incubus,

So did you do the install yourself?

Did you have drums on the front prior to the install? My biggest concern is that I have front discs now but the kit from Wilwood says somthing about working with drum spindles. Is there a way of getting around that?

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
You can also try Critcher's Auto Parts and Speed Equipment.
They have access to everything from Model A parts to cougar stuff. And lots of connections that other parts stores and chains don't have. And top quality stuff instead of cheap junk.
In Fact, the owner is a swell guy named Phil Critcher who owns several musclecars and probably one of the rarest 28 Ford AR cars outside of a museum. Plus, he is a primary sponsor of my 70 Cougar.
If it can be had, usually he can get it. And make you a good deal at the same time. Just ask for Phil, tim, or Karen when you call and mention Nandy Racing. That's me.:D
If I were you, I'd just go back with stock equipment. If you get a yen for more braking force, stainless braided brake lines and the rear disc conversion are good next steps.

Critcher's Auto Parts and Speed Equipment
828 264 8822

Of course, Critcher's isn't a panacea. So, check around.

·
Registered
120 Posts
klenzd said:
Incubus,

So did you do the install yourself?

Did you have drums on the front prior to the install? My biggest concern is that I have front discs now but the kit from Wilwood says somthing about working with drum spindles. Is there a way of getting around that?
Yes....I did the install by myself....it took me a weekend (not working continuously) to put on the front/rear kits, new complete brake line kit, proportioning valve and master cylinder/booster. The install was real straightforward and I ran into no problems that I can remember.
That "drum spindle thing" from Wilwood had me wondering too. If I remember correctly the instructions said something about having to drill/tap an extra hole if you used disc spindles. Well my GT was a disc car and I had to drill nothing......everything bolted right up....no problems at all. Maybe their test car was something goofy or there was a miscommunication when the directions were written.....who knows.....it didn't apply in my case.
If you like, I am crawling under my car for some suspension work on Thursday and I could take some pics of the setup if you like.....let me know.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
How about the part #'s of the kit(s)? I am thinking of upgrading for track events, but may explore the use of Granada calipers & brackets bolted to the 68/9 spindles...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Cougar Bill said:
How about the part #'s of the kit(s)? I am thinking of upgrading for track events, but may explore the use of Granada calipers & brackets bolted to the 68/9 spindles...
The front Wilwood part # is 140-4304B.....rear # is 140-2113B (for small bearing 9").
Also one other thing that I forgot to mention because for me it wasn't a big deal was that I switched to 16" rims (I was doing that at the time anyway).....the brakes may clear 15" rims but I don't know for sure.....14" no way. Just thought I'd mention that in case it didnt cross someone's mind:1poke:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good to know on the wheel size, though when I told the guy on the phone that I had 14" wheels, he said it wouldn't be a problem.

Incubus, if you have a digital camera and want to take some pix that would be awesome. That's also good to hear that you didn't have to make any modifications.

I had checked out SSBC but their kit with the same stuff as the Wilwood kit was over $1000.

In regards to the steel braided brake lines, would those replace all the lines and where might I get a set of those?

·
Registered
120 Posts
When I did my lines I got a complete kit....hard lines and flexible from In Line Tube (I think that was the name) all stainless. I just told them what I had and was doing and they sent me all I needed to get the job done....kinda pricey though. I had to do a little bending and flaring on my own but nothing too difficult. All the flexible lines should be available through Jegs/Summit or locally.....nothing special. I'll take some pics this afternoon.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Here are the pics. You can see the clearance in the 16" wheel........not quite an inch outside of the caliper so I still don't think I would try them with a 14" wheel. I didn't feel like taking it all apart :cry: hopefully you get the idea and see there are no mods to get the kit to fit.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
brakes

Just bought both front and rear Willwoods for my 69. I haven't put them on yet, but I have bolted them up to make sure they fit . So far so good. My best buddy runs them on his 8 second Camaro and he has never had a problem. Give Willwood a call, there tech staff is really nice. Phone: (805) 388-1188

Thanks
Gio

Front
Willwood Number 4304-B
Cost $620.90

Back
Wilwood Number 2113-B
Cost $498.98

Jegs or Summit:D

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sweet, thanks for the pix...doesn't look like the 14"s would clear at all. Actually, they don't even clear the stock calipers I have now. Both of my front wheels have a very small rub mark on the inside of the wheel from the caliper, and that was after I sanded down the caliper a little bit.

What's that blue bar in the pic?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have Total Control upper/lower control arms, strut rods and rack and pinion.....all of their stuff is powdercoated blue. Nice pieces, by the way, if you are ever considering them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts