Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I ordered the Mustang Steve Cobra Brake Swap and I went to my local Napa to buy new 1998-2004 Cobra pads and the 3 different sets I got didn't come with the retainer springs on the back of the pads where they go into the pistons and the front of the caliper on the opposing pad. Is this the way they come and is there a way to remove them from the old pads to put on the new ones???

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow I would of thought one of the gurus around here would have some type of idea!

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
the outer pad should have the retention clips already on them. i dont have a set in stock to snap a picture of, but yes you are correct in that asumption.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
You may want to ask ECI Bob as he is planning this conversion too.....he may have the recipe for it.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I sure do!! What I suggest is to buy new calipers, best prices I could find (on new, that come with pads, unlike the rebuilt stuff) were front: buyfordracing.com ($269 from memory for the pair), rear: streetortrack.com (also is where I got my conversion bracket kits from, $225.99 for the pair). I had previously ordered rebuilt calipers from Advance and was going to take the hit on having no cores (but of course workin' my coupon-schmoopon magic!), the price without pads still could not touch the new stuff I mentioned, so I cancelled and returned the Advance stuff and bought the new (I admit I still get overexcited about discounts and sometimes screw the pooch on getting the best deal, then try to rectify that after the fact, it's all part of being ECI Bob).

What I can say is MAN!, those 13" rotors are impressive when you are used to seeing the stock-sized stuff. Even the rear ones at 11.65" are, save the wimpy rear calipers (but as a friend pointed out to me, clamping force is different than shoes against a drum).

Hope this helps. If you are left wanting more, see my "I love Advance" thread for more of the "thrifty shopping skinny".

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Bob but not quite the answer to my question though. I already have new calipers that have 9000k on them were a take off from a new car at the dealership as they installed some Brembo's on the customers car. The pads that came with it were good but I bought a new set of 4 ceramic pads as I also bought new drilled rotors.

The problem is that I am on my third set from Napa as they don't have the 2 round backing clips the backside of the pads. These are the clips that go into the pistons on the one side of the caliper and into the two round holes below the Cobra logo on the front side. Are the pads supposed to come with these are can you take the clips somehow off the old pads and put them on the new ones??

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Hmm. Let me look at the new ones I bought and see what is up with them. Generally, I have found that you can pry clips like these off the old pads and put them on the new, they are usually lightly glued on with anti-rattle goop. Beyond the goop there are usually some sort of tabs or something for the clips to hold on. I just looked at one of mine and can't get them apart easily, but I think my observations hold. So get prying and let us know how it goes! Failing that (but I am fairly sure of this), try a set of Ford pads?

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
these are car quest's pcd412 front cobra pad

Attachments

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wanted the ceramic pads as they are very low dust in compared to the standard issue Ford ones as I hate cleaning that brake dust that coats your nice aftermarket wheels. Maybe I'll try to see if they can pry off in some way and re-attach to the new ones.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts