Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced my alternator with a Bosch unit from NAPA. Now I have a squealing sound coming from the alternator area. I checked the belt tension and it is tight but still with about a 1/4" give. With the engine off if I push on the belt near the alternator I can hear sort of a scraping sound coming from the alternator. I'm trying to figure out if I got a bad rebuilt unit or if I did something wrong on the install.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Hmmp? Whats the clearance look like on the back of the fan blades to the case? Maybe they are scraping a bit? If so I'd wonder if the bearing walked inward for some reason? Bosch is usually a very good brand....

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I found the problem and as usually happens it comes back to the operator and not the machinery. I thought that I had paid close enough attention to all of the bracket placements but when I removed the alt belt I could feel a slight grind in turning the blades. It was then that I saw a few bright spots on the tips of the blades. Turns out I attached the tensioning bracket to the wrong hole on the block. It still worked but it had brought the blades just in contact with the edge of the bracket. Moved the attacment point and all is nice and quiet.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Sweet - easy to do/fix....gotta like that!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts