Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, Professional Products has released a neato throttle body injection unit that will, allegedly, "learn" how to operate your engine at peak efficiency- or near it.

How cool is that? Pretty darn cool.

http://www.professional-products.com/new.html

Another very cool feature is that a lot of the electronics are onboard the throttle body, so you won't need to run a wrist thick gob of wiring through the firewall and mount a computer somewhere. That's cool too.

And, you can jack a laptop into it and tune it yourself, if you're that guy.

Looks neat.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Powerjection III Interview @ SEMA 2009

Interesting! Very Interesting! Look here

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Man I'd like that injection and one of their paddle shifter set-up with g/v overdrive on the 428

One hour installation time (probably a couple of hours if you don't have an O2 sensor)

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, the easy installation looks like a real dealmaker for a lot of Cougarphiles who blanche at tackling an EFI swap. And, the use of a throttle body setup makes reusing parts and connecting everything easy too.

I'm wondering what total cost would be... hmmm...

·
Registered
8,194 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
The III actually appears to be $500.oo cheaper than the original. The biggest difference in installation seems to be that this one needs a return line.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow. For 3 grand you can have paddle shifters and a 750 cfm throttle body injection system.
It's a great time to be a hotrodder.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Wow. For 3 grand you can have paddle shifters and a 750 cfm throttle body injection system.
It's a great time to be a hotrodder.
and for $6k you can have a six speed paddle shifted auto behind your injected 428 - one of the reasons I need to sell a couple - lot more bang for my buck

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
looks like there is a kit that doesn't need a return line
This was the original kit. Look through the write ups on the new one and they make mention of it.

I've been eyeing these for a while

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
There is a youtube video (can't access it from work compter) that shows it being installed with a fuel pressure regulator so you don't need a return line.

However the installation manual says - All systems will require the need of a return fuel line. A return fuel line is a separate fuel line that allows unused fuel to return back to the fuel tank. We offer a return fuel line kit part number 70107 for use with the Powerjection III systems.

If you need a return line you can use the emmissions hard-line from a 70 with california emmissions. it runs to just before the tank

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Nice...all that time I spent plumbing the deadhead system....probably due for an upgrade anyway. This would be the cats meow! So, for half the cost of the car I could get it upgraded to a 6 speed too. All I need is a winning lottery ticket and a solid job! I'm eyeballing a '55 F100 as we speak....not pulling the trigger until I have something solid on the job front....but this would be a cool way to go and run the lines inside the frame before I box it too!

Anybody remember the transmissions that "learn" the way you drive....not good at first. Maybe I'll wait until the second gen and a few people with expendable cash drive the price down a bit.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
There is a youtube video (can't access it from work compter) that shows it being installed with a fuel pressure regulator so you don't need a return line.

However the installation manual says - All systems will require the need of a return fuel line. A return fuel line is a separate fuel line that allows unused fuel to return back to the fuel tank. We offer a return fuel line kit part number 70107 for use with the Powerjection III systems.

If you need a return line you can use the emmissions hard-line from a 70 with california emmissions. it runs to just before the tank
The video was probably of a Powerjection I system. If you look under Fuel systems on the web page you posted under fuel system they have a ??? that is claimed to eliminate the need for a return line. Wonder if they'll work together?

I like your idea of using the CA type system. Finally a usefull part of the smog system.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
The video was probably of a Powerjection I system. If you look under Fuel systems on the web page you posted under fuel system they have a ??? that is claimed to eliminate the need for a return line. Wonder if they'll work together?

I like your idea of using the CA type system. Finally a usefull part of the smog system.

Video was of Powerjection III with ecu attached toi the side of throttle body. It was installed on 69 mustang in under 1 hour. If you follow the link to the youtube video above then you can see it in one of related links

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Why so reluctant to do a return line?
It's not the return line, it's the tank modifications that can be the PITA.

It's funny that the video's contradict there own instruction manual. Altough the manual was issued 6 months later. Things the manual says you have to do the video blows off. Such as calibrating the system for WOT. Setting the system to your particular motor. Installing both a pre and post filter, return line.

I think it's a cool product I'm just real leery about easy to install items these days. I'll be keeping my eye on this for now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts