Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, and good evening. Thanks to Tim B, I now have some info and 23 pictures of my latest project, a Black 69 XR7 hartop. The car is a California car, and is actually still there. I'm having it shipped, and by the end of the week I should have a pickup date.

Anyway, here's some info on the car. The car has 96,900 miles on it, and has been in California all of its life. We all know what this means: No Rust! Yes! Finally! My bodyman will be so dissapointed. The car is virtually complete, missing only a hubcap and a rocker modling. Thankfully, I have both of these parts as extras. Actually, I have many parts for it as extras, and am excited that I can use them on it. Most came from the restoration of my first 69 XR7 convertible, including an extra redone disc brake setup, Power steering setup, and an extra nice passenger XR7 seat. I also have an extra rear valence to go on it, as its has been dented. And, very importantly, the car has perfectly functioning tail lights and headlights.

The best thing going for the car, not including having virtually no rust, is its originality. It has a beautiful original trunk mat and carboard covers in the back, and is in its original paint with factory red pinstripes. The original motor and transmission also run and shift great.

My plans for the car, (I work fast in my mind, I doubt it will happen this quickly) are to hold on to it and amass parts it needs and money for the time being. Then, paint it and do whatever interior bits it needs to make it a nice, near original car. I may put in a 4 speed to replace the 3. I already have one lined up.

And, in case anyone didn't know, I'm 16. Yes, 16. I got my driver's license on July 31st, 2002. (A day I'll remember forever). Since then, I have inherited something from my dad: a deep passion for classic cars.
I'm no hot rodder, though, and I treat my current XR7 convertible with more care then it has ever been given. I pay for these car's restorations myself as much as I can. To do this I buy and sell parts on ebay under COV34482a and do local trading for extra and needed parts. I am proud of every piece I clean up and sell, and am proud to do this with as little monetary help from my parents as possible. Though, I must give great thanks to my dad, James Broady, for being so great to me and helping me every step of the way. I should also thank my mom, though she is probably out looking for some of the car parts I leave scattered around the house so she can tell me to pick them up.

Thanks for reading and have a good one.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
damn that car looks good man. and 16?? with 5 Cougars? err, 6?? wow. thought i was gettting around being 21 and have had 3 already lol. good luck with the car man. thats a killer find.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I read a recent thread about a 14 year old son looking forward to a 69 Cougar . People seemed concerned about the age of the driver.
Let me tell you, my son saw my 69 red XR7 conv when I bought it 6 years ago. He was 10 at the time. When I bought my 73 Stang conv, I told him the Cougar would be his some day. During the next 5 years, the Cougar only saw 3000 additional miles on the tires. When the young man turned 16, I signed over the title and gave it to him for his birthday. I bought another one so that we could share this hobby together. He has a passion in his soul for the old cars like nobody else I know. Since he lives with his mother most of the time, we cherish the time together, especially with the old cars. I wish I can say I had the same relationship with my late father. You see, my son is also my best friend as I am his. The common bond on the cars tops it off.
Our hobby is dependent on the next generation to carry it forward. If other sons show as much enthusiasm as my son does,it will carry on and on. You see, my son is Jason Broady.

Jim

Reactions: droptopcat70

·
Registered
588 Posts
Nice find. Take a close look at the edges of the front and rear windows, though. Either that photo is blurred, that chrome is mangled, or the vinyl is hiding some damage. California doesn't always mean rust free, that nice sea breeze can wreak havoc on a car. But all of the wheel trim seems to be there and the fenders/quarterpanels looks straight, always a huge advantage.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Bruce said:
California doesn't always mean rust free, that nice sea breeze can wreak havoc on a car.
And if you don't believe that, take a look at Steve's (sixt9coug) new purchase. :D

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
trying to say something Chris?? :D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
great story guys, and nice find too. My daughter is more into cars then my son is, but thats ok. My daughter is 8 (next month) years old, and if she continues to show interest like she has for the last 4 years, she's going to be one of the best female gear heads around (next to my wife).

Rick

·
Registered
965 Posts
According to Tim B., the vinyl top had no problems and the only rust was a quarter size one in a rear quarter. The picture must be blurred, but for what Jason paid, it is remarkablely solid.

Jim

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
incredibly good price on the car. if i didnt lag so bad it probably would have been in my garage :D

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tim B sent me 23 pictures of the car, and a detailed, expert description of the car. Tim really knows his stuff.
The car has no rust lurking beneath that vinyl top, and only has been in San Diego, close to the coast, for a very few years. It came from the interior of California before that. That is rather shocking on Steve's car, though. Wow. I've never seen rust that bad, and I live on the east coast. No offense, it seems like a real nice car otherwise.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Hey Droptop, I got dizzy reading yor post...

Seriously, you got a cool new project there. Good Luck with it.

Mark

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I couldn't find any rust under the vinyl top or around the rear window or roof trim moulding. I pressed around to find soft spots but couldn't find any. I didn't take anything apart mind you. The top is obviously shot, but the PO looks like he coated it with something to prevent it from getting worse!
I thought the rear mounted antenna (looks like the factory one to me) was installed by the dealer, no sign of it ever being on the front fender. An anomaly to be sure, special order? Per owner's request? (It's my understanding the dealer installed the antenna, door egde guards, 67/68 DGS stuff, floor mats, etc.)
Also of interest to me was the apparent aluminum trunk trim. 'Everybody' says the 69s should be stainless, but this is the third one (including mine) that I've seen in aluminum. Also the XR-7 emblems are on the trunk lid.....'some' have said it was only on 70s.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
The XR7 on the trunk lid was early 69 only. I've got an artical on that somewhere. My 69 conv had them...

Bruce

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
My 69 also had the factory power ant and it was in the back pass side...

Bruce

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm green with envy, hope your able to spend quality time with the cat, sure beats theheck out of my old school car 58 Fairlane 500 4d sed rust bucket :sun:

·
Registered
885 Posts
My 1970 XR7 has an XR7 emblem on the trunk lid. Dearborn, November '69 I believe.

Steve C.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts