Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the montpelier area of Vermont, I was going to purchase this car for myself but don't have the money or time, the car is a 68 cougar hardtop coupe 390 4v, c6, GT package, tilt away steering, power steering, A/C, power disc brakes, red in color with red/white interior, lots of parts, car has some minor front end damage to the radiator support, very minor, some rust here and there but again minor, the car is very rare, I actually have the marti-report as I said i was going to purchase the car but backed out, I can buy the car for $1500, but once it goes on the market in a few weeks the price will go way up. I'm sorry I don't have any contact info other than a phone number, no adress but I know exactly where he lives, I guess contact me if you are seriously interested, I'll tell you what I know, maybe you can contact the owner and if you buy the car, maybe a small finder fee for me would be apreciated.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Would you please post a picture of the Marti report on this car, or if that isn't possible, at least tell us the vin number and the left door data code plate information on it. Thanks. Jim.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I scrounged up some money to buy the car, but I'm not sure If I should sell it or keep and restore. Some insight on potential value/rarity would be apreciated. Here's the marti-report.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wonder if this car was released late because of the ford strike in '67?

·
Registered
563 Posts
I scrounged up some money to buy the car, but I'm not sure If I should sell it or keep and restore. Some insight on potential value/rarity would be apreciated. Here's the marti-report./QUOTE]

Posting some pictures here or HD video at youtube of the Cougar will help others to "guesstimate" current and/or potential market value.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You have a good point, I took some pictures basically the way it rolled out of the barn but I'm going to spend the weekend, cleaning some parts, doing some assembly on some pieces because I got about 5 boxes and dozens of parts not on the car. Pictures will be up late this weekend.
The only issues with the car are; torque boxes have some rust, fist size rust hole under drivers side floor pan, bottom of the quarter panels need replacement panels, fender aprons have rust holes in the top, radiator support should be fixed or replaced;looks like its tweeked alittle bit from a fender bender, rusted out hood and the top cowl pan should be replaced because the previous owner cut the sides out to drain water/leaves. The rest of the car is basically mint, frame rails are mint front to back, rest of the floors are mint, trunk inside & underneath is mint, doors, fenders, rockers, roof, glass all rust free and practically dent free.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I agree photos would be great. It was built the day after my birthday, so I would vote for you to restore it. Also saddle XR7 interior really looks great.

·
Registered
563 Posts
You have a good point, I took some pictures basically the way it rolled out of the barn but I'm going to spend the weekend, cleaning some parts, doing some assembly on some pieces because I got about 5 boxes and dozens of parts not on the car. Pictures will be up late this weekend.
The only issues with the car are; torque boxes have some rust, fist size rust hole under drivers side floor pan, bottom of the quarter panels need replacement panels, fender aprons have rust holes in the top, radiator support should be fixed or replaced;looks like its tweeked alittle bit from a fender bender, rusted out hood and the top cowl pan should be replaced because the previous owner cut the sides out to drain water/leaves. The rest of the car is basically mint, frame rails are mint front to back, rest of the floors are mint, trunk inside & underneath is mint, doors, fenders, rockers, roof, glass all rust free and practically dent free.
I can't sell my '68 Cougar XR7 GT for this:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/3112715281.html

Here's another one for sale with a 4 spd:

http://www.cars-on-line.com/60002.html

Be carefull how much you spend fixing it up if you go that route. Unfortunately, there's not much of a market for these rare and beautiful cars.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I do sell the car basically the way it sit's, realistically I think $3-4k is fair, If I do restore the car to a certain point, at the least driver quality, I would rather keep it and drive for awhile as I have always wanted a big block 60's muscle car. I can always do some work to my 67 standard coupe cougar, sell it and fund the '68

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Mike, selling the standard and keeping this one may be the way to go. Without seeing the pictures, it's hard to judge but I'd have a tough time paying that much for the car knowing I'd probably have to find quarters for it, along with a hood and still have to do a cowl repair. The parts that aren't rusted are actually the easier ones to find replacements for or fix.

I have a very original '67 XR-7 GT with pretty much the same option list as yours. I bought it with everything working, the engine already rebuilt, straight sheet metal all around with a small amount of rust around the rear window and in the trunk, a really nice interior (except for the driver seat), and needing a cowl repair. I paid $13K for it and had a ready-to-go big-block daily driver.

For comparison, here's the info on my car from the Marti report:

7F93S616359
65B I 6G 02F 52 1 U

- Closed Crankcase Emission System
- Exhaust Emission Control
- GT Eqquipment Group
- C-6 Select-Shift-Mer-O-Matic
- 185R14 Radial Ply Tires
- White Rayon Sidewall Tires
- Console
- Power Steering
- Tilt-away Steering Wheel
- Air Conditioner - Whisperaire
- AM/8-track Stereo Radio
- Tinted Glass
- Door Edge Guards
- Styled Steel Wheels
- Rear Bumper Guards

Vince gave you some good advice if you decide to sell it. Spend as little as possible on it and be happy with a quick profit rather than try to get a top-of-the-market price for the condition it's in. Otherwise, keep it and enjoy it as you bring it back to life.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
IMO this car is worth 3K in parts easily, especially if it runs. Drive train alone is 3k ( motor ,trans,9' rear, drive shaft ) then keep adding $ for any other parts ( if there ) such as 68 390GT air cleaner, snorkle, S tube, disc brake parts , Tilt assembly, how about the radiator if original , Smog on this one ? etc. etc.
It adds up quickly, it's worth more if parted out :chain: and that's just the truth. Part it out if it's too expensive to restore to a decent quality, and if you need the $$ ; Hopefully to another Cougar owner.
Because everybody else ( even on here ) wants to profit from the car you now have. If you advertise the car or the parts ( correctly with all it's #'s and do it well ) you should do your wallet well.
I'm interested in seeing the pictures for sure.
It's kinda strange that the Marti shows this car didn't sell until April 16 1969, about 1 1/2 years after it's build date; I didn't think Mercury had any trouble selling the Cougars , I wonder how many miles were on it when sold.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know the car has all the parts for the a/c, smog pump, tilt-away column, original fomoco big block radiator, 390 air breather, original disc brakes, #'s matching engine/transmission, another cool thing is that the car has been sitting since 1984!

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
CougarShark is right that the car s worth more parted out than resold, but I disagree with him on the idea that everyone here wants to profit on the car. When I look at a car to buy, I don't want the seller to take all the value out of the car and leave me with all the effort and ending up upside down, so in that sense maybe he's correct. What I'm getting at is to understand the effort someone else is going to have to put in to restore the car if you resell it and leave something in it for their time and effort while making a fair profit for yourself. If you want to maximize your profit, take CougarShark's advice and part it. It's got a lot of valuable parts.

Just to be clear, I'm no longer interested in buying this car now that I know what it needs. It's more of a project than I want to take on at this point. So my opinions are not driven by a profit motive.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Well, at the very worst you could get it running well and safe to drive and just enjoy driving a rusty big block around for the summer :)

IMO, dont' part it out.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I agree that this cougar shouldn't be parted out , but the realization is always put on value ( which is $$$$ ) And we are deep into a very bad economy ! So cash is King
So if someone were to buy this rare cougar for say 3K ,( pictures might prove more worth ) and who would either save it and restore it ( hands down the best scenario ) or put the time and effort into parting it out and make some cashish ( Labor = $$$ ) Thus hopefully getting these rare parts to another Cougarholic with a passion for these cars. It's still a good thing for the Cougar Community.

If you do decide to part it out I am definitely interested in the 68 smog parts.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't think I really want to part it out, though I might get more money, I would take away from the originality of the car, the fact that it has all of it's original parts and numbers matching, I would rather spend the time of making it at the least a presentable daily driver. Once I strip the car of its parts, it will just be a shell, an empty vessel, a foregotten piece of american muscle history....oh no no no, I can't do that to her

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm going to feel out the market and post the car on ebay for a few days, if not sold, I will keep and restore. Ebay item #150853470900, starts 7pm est, 7/9/2012.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
X3 i would restore this one and ditch the other honestly. In time it will hold more value if that's really a concern (less loss is better IMO - but maybe it won't be either - who knows). it's a shame to kill a well optioned car for really not much difference in resto cost in the biggger picture. It doesn't sound like a basket case...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts