Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have managed to get a few "extra" Shelby style "le mans" bowels. So my question is:
As the needle and seat assemblies are mounted horizontally, VS vertically for the traditional 'cathedral' bowls, is there any other difference than the direction of action? Can I use the needle and seats in the quick kits, or do I need some piece of unobtanium to rebuild them?
I called Holley, they said that Carl's was the sole remaining supplier of stuff like that. I sent Carl's an email saying I wanted to buy parts for three pair of bowels, and never heard a word back.
Is there a difference between the two actual parts, or just the way they actuate?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
tehee, teehee - he said "bowels"! ;>) News to me I guess I never heard of the horizontal mounted needles. ...how does the float work in that carb then? Gravity wouldn't be your friend...don't see the advantage? I wonder if there may be any suitable sub's for the parts from other models (marine/aviation)? (Part numbers may not cross?) Now I gotta go google the carb and satisfy my curiosity!

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GGGRRRRrrrrrrr! I see that once again, I misspelled BOWL for bowel. FUCC, I hate it when I do that!!

·
Registered
205 Posts
You made me chuckle. Man,you had me going I thought you talking about special seats for a 24 hr lemans type race, then I wondered what holley had to do with it. Now I know why Carl didn't respond.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm serious in my question. I took one of the 715 bowls apart, and the needles are different than the replacements that come in the quick kits...

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
If the OEM needle and seats are not worn, put em' back in.
The center hung float bowls are resistant to fuel sloshing during hard cornering. The newer 4150 style bowl has the same features plus the floats are externally adjustable and easy to clean.
Give me the newer style anytime for a driver. LeMans style bowls are cool eye candy though...

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I asked this same question on the Shelby board, thinking they may have a different answer...They turned me on to Daytona Parts Company. They sell the kit for 60 bucks, and the needle/seat assemblies for 9 bucks ea.
Does anyone have any experience with Daytona, before I send them my money?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts