Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The C6 tranny that I had planned on buying was off of a Modified, and not a Cleveland. So I decided to rebuild the tranny that came off of the Cleveland to begin with. I was told that it was a 1970 C4 out of a Torino(tourqe converter has Torino written on it in paint pen), but just want to make sure it's not an FMX before I order a rebuild kit.

On the drivers side case there is a large FOMOCO casted and just right of that there is casting # DOAP-7006-C

Also near the input shaft(the one that the Tourqe Converter goes on) there is casting # C4AP-7A105 This casting leads me to belive that it is a C4.

Thanks
Cody

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Tranny ID

The easies way to ID a Ford trans is by the shape of the pan. Before you go to a parts store or wherever you're going to get the rebuild kit from, ask to see the different pan gaskets.

Also, the FMX pan is really small, but very deep. You can't mistake one. If you drop your pan and take a look inside, a FMX looks like a brain, with metal tubes running all over the place.

Also, a FMX will have a cast iron case, not aluminum.

·
Contributing Member
89 Posts
it's kinda late(you already know its a c4) but i found this on some site awhile ago, a pic of some tranni pans-not sure if it will work hope so. Dennis:) p.s gotta scroll down its there

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts