Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, need to ship the cougar from Don's in Salem OR back to Ga...so far the cheapest price is around 1200.

I have heard their are places where you can bid or be an add on to another shipment but can't find any such places.

Anyone have any experience with them?

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
$1200 sounds like a really good price.
Be sure to have your own primary insurance on it if you are concerned. Don't rely on secondary coverage/the shippers insurance.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Can't remember who I used when I had mine shipped from SoCal in 2009, but it cost me $1500 at the time. I should be able to dig up the info this weekend.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Jenny and I used UShip to get bids on having her Eliminator and the parts car that came with it shipped down to Dallas from Ohio. It's like getting bids from any contractor, don't just go for price ... talk to them, ask about insurance, delivery time, how it's going to be transported (inside, outside, trailer, towbar, flatbed, car hauler, etc.). Obviously it won't be a straight drive & drop, how do they secure the car when they stop for the night ... where do they stop?

We choose a guy who had a two car trailer. From Indianapolis to Dallas, we paid about the same last year. Although we had a shorter distance, we were delivering two cars. At least Uship will give you several cost comparisons.

PS - Would love to see some photo updates. Do you have a photo bucket album? They are free.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
I have always used Steve Craig. He is a broker and always been the best price. Price depends on several factors, location, vehicle condition, and time frame. Drop him and email and he will be more than happy to give you a quote. No harm in asking, could save you a couple hundred bucks. [email protected]. Tell him Greg Taylor in FL referred you.

·
Registered
980 Posts
After watching a newer TV show, called "Shipping Wars" and what they go thru with their pick ups and deliveries...I'd opt to take my own trailer and haul my own.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I used uship but you have to be patient....I finally opted for an individual that had all the correct insurance etc and he had rave reviews....he was carrying airplane parts from S. Carolina back to Idaho so he was always coming southeast with an empty trailer.....he was real good about getting that trailer filled up on his way down and he gave me a quote of $750 for the 69 Cougar I had shipped from Denver to Atlanta last summer.....it just took time....I can look him up if you like? Not sure he was backhaul to Oregon but you never know....he makes the trip about once a month so I had to wait a while.....let me know..

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Here is the deal with auto shipping... Rarely does the company you contact actually ship the car. They all go to the same national auto broker website and post the ride and then take $150-$200 for their cut. You will know what they are charging for a broker fee as they will ask for a deposit via credit card and tell you the rest is due at delivery. If you tell them "I am in no hurry" you can place the job on the site for a low-ball amount and eventually a trucker will need to finish his load, will be in the area and do it cheap just to avoid going cross with an empty spot. A couple years ago I got lucky and got a 68 brought from FL to OR for $800 and it was only on the board for 6 hrs! Plan on it taking up to a couple of months if you bid cheap though... The quote you got is reasonable considering about 50% of the truckers will not take an in-opt and the rest will up-charge you $100-$200.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
You got a very reasonable quote in my opinion. That's what I paid for CA to NY two years ago. Like Don said a inoperable vehicle is like the plague. It may even be a bigger percentage than 50 that won't touch them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts