Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used a B&M shifter with cable a few years back and it has been in need of constant adjustment. I am looking for a good shifter that will bolt up to my c4 on my 68 cougar. This is not a show car - but a daily driver restoration project with my teenage son. We just want it to shift and start only in park and neutral. Stock safety switch was taken out prior to us buying the car but the B&M shifter had the neutral/reverse switch.

Who, other than B&M, makes a good shifter that does not use the cable?

Thanks - Jeff

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Is your car a console car or no? Anything wrong with going back to a stock shifter?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do not have the original shifter.

This is the problem my son and I discovered today. The C4 won't go into park...not just by the shifter but also when we try to move the lever forward to park under the car.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
That's kind of the issue you run into on the cable shifters - they aren't really good at "pushing" but work great at pulling. You really need to create a a solid base/bracket setup to get them to work consistantly....fabbing your own brackets is really the only thing that works...... you can get there with it, you just have to really study where it's falling short and tweak it

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Has the car been damaged to the point that an original shifter would not work? Do you have the rod to go with? These aren't particularly hard to find or expensive parts to replace,...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shifting better now and almost holds park but not to the point that I'd let the car idle alone. The decorative part of the shifter may be interfering with getting a better push of the cable. Still not impressed with the B & M but maybe that is all cable shifters.

Another problem now - power steering fluid leaking from I do not know where. Cables look rough, one is a bit worn from rubbing on a clamp. Need to get back under the car after I take care of the shifter. We ran the car for over an hour and very smooth for a rusted driveway rescue!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I had a B&M shifter in my 83 ranger truck. 302/C4 conversion, that truck was a blast to drive. My cable only lasted 2 years. (started to stretch) This truck was a daily driver that got used a lot, and Michigan winters aren't easy especially with road salt. I sold the truck to a friend of mine and about two years later he ended up putting in another cable. Maybe a B&M cable thing, have you tried a new cable?

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
B&M has a replacement "heavier duty" cable that helps. You need to ask specificly for it. I got mine at Summit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts