Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so i am completely flaburgasted as to whats wrong with my car. Ill be driving and it feels like it dies for a quick fraction of a second then picks up again. When i stop and at an idle it feels like im riding a damn horse. i have recently switched to an ignitor 3 instead of points and this is when it started. I have it wire correctly grounded everywhere it needs to be and i have an upgraded coil. I changed the spark plugs this morning and that fixed it temporarily but i started up again minutes ago. Any suggestions. also i just redid my carb, flushed my fuel line and changed my fuel filter and it is still going on.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
also is my distributor suppose to be sitting at a slight angle. (leaning alittle to the passengar side

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i know this is a noob question but can u direct me on how to do this. Im in the learning stages of all of this only 17 years old lol

·
Registered
829 Posts
also is my distributor suppose to be sitting at a slight angle. (leaning alittle to the passengar side
now I'm not familiar with every motor ford put out, but i am pretty sure they all had the distributors straight up and down... this may be the source of your problem...

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
i know this is a noob question but can u direct me on how to do this. Im in the learning stages of all of this only 17 years old lol
Well it's different on different carbs. what kind of carburator do you have on your car. If it's a Holley you may want to talk to one of the other guys. I have never been the greatest at them. my brother came and set mine for me and I'm not a Noob. just know what I'm good at and what I'm not..lol.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Check the voltage at the coil. If it's not 12V then move the wire to a different key on source. Search Pertronix to find a lot of answers on this. Basically, some will work in that location. Some will not.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it is giving 12vlts. I really need some help here. I need my car bc its my only means of transportation most of the day. when i crank my car up it starts right up but as it sits you can watch my tach literally bounce from 1000 to 200. i can dive the car as long as i keep it at a moderate pase but as soon as i start to slow to an idle the tach goes crazy again and my car starts to jerk. Does anyone have any other ideas as to what it could be im desperate here

·
Registered
225 Posts
is the distributor still crooked? because it really shouldnt be is there oil seeping at the base where its mounted?

·
Registered
225 Posts
And this may sound lame but take the cap of the distributor off and put it back on, im wondering if its not on right and looking crooked.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can anyone help me please? could it possibly be the timing is off because of the more powerful ignitor 3?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
also i just changed my plug wires and cap an hour ago and it fixed the problem until i punched it and now everything is back to messing up like it was

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
The coil voltage drops to about 6 volts when the car is running. This is not adequate for the Ignitor. You can verify that this is the problem by disconnecting the power wire for the Pertronix from the coil, and running it over to the battery TEMPORARILY. If you have a test lead with alligator clips on the end, that works well. DO NOT LEAVE IT HOOKED UP THIS WAY. Once you see that you have to hook the Pertronix up to 12 volts, run a new wire to a 12 volt source that is hot during both start and run.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ive been playing with it more and more and it seems to only do it once the engine gets hot. what is this a sign of? and i just bought a brand new 12vlt 45000 watt accel coil so it should be getting sufficient power

·
Registered
980 Posts
Okay...let me try a few things here...first, when you set the timing, you did remove and plug the vacum line to the vacum advance before trying to set it, right?

GO back and "MAKE SURE" that the dist cap is on tight and correctly snaped into place.

Check all your vacum hoses (ALL OF THEM)

Is the carb tighten down, did you put in a "NEW " base gasket?

Is the vacum hose to the rear of the carb on tight?

Let me know, I will re-check this thread from home after work today.

Best
Jay

1 - 20 of 37 Posts