Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have a 88 merc cougar auto 3.8 v6 75k original miles runs good. I was woundering well the fords had the supercharged thunderbirds and is it possable to take the supercharger/intercooler/hoses/ect off and put them on my engine with out any major work?

would i have to change ecu/fuel pump or ??

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
You are asking the right questions. I am not very mechanically savy on the latemodel stuff but with a supercharger you need to make sure you have the compression and octane levels correct or things can go south in a hurry. I am not sure if the specs on the 3.8 was the same with and without the super charger. If you can dig up some engine specs on the 3.8 T birds with and without the charger that will be a good indication as to whether it's a straight bolt on.

It will deffnitely "work" but the question is will it blow your motor

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Just remember that the later Thunderbirds and Cougars that had the supercharged engine, starting in 1989, were structurally completely different from your 1988. The swap may be possible, but running the intercooler lines and locating the intercooler itself might be a challenge.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Sure it's possible, other than being the standard 3.8 the original Super Coupes had better pistons and rods in those motors to deal with supercharger pressure..Be careful with the intercooler tubes, had tubes break before wile torquing them...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ive located a sc car but missing charger it seems to still have the tubes and lines/cooler . its just through reading it says my car has 140hp as those sc have 210 so a 70hp gain is a lot. im just looking for simpler ways to get some hp with out doing any internal engine work im waiting to do a exhaust,i just not to sure what else to do that i can gain some hp from.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
keep in mind that 70 HP is not from the SC alone....there are internals that help as well. An exhaust upgrade typically nets around 10 HP if it flows well. Playing with the pulley ratio's pn the SC help creat boost too - but as stated you have to worry about internals because of the forced induction.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts