Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help on removing the hardware that holds down the rubber steering coupler. I bought a steering coupler repair kit and I'm lost at removing the hardware. How is this done? I've noticed I will have to retain the two L-shaped brackets and the lower flange that attaches to the steering gear box. Do I have to grind the heads off the pins and cut the bolts off? Or should I just forget this hassel and sand all the metal surfaces down, mask the rubber off, paint it and reuse what I have?

Thanks. Steve.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I bought a kit too (think mine was from Help!), but decided against drilling out rivets (think that is what the '69 box had) just to put the new rubber in with bolts instead. I cleaned up the original and cleared that part of the resto of the box (so the rubber would remain black). Came out fine and another part went in the "brand new, but didn't use" pile. You might want to consider doing the same, your couple looks fine albeit dirty/rusty.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I used the one we sell at NAPA. pretty much the same as the one Scott Drakes shows there. I did grind off the rivets and used the metal hardware that was on the old rag joint. with the new hardware that came with the kit. you be amazed what you can make one look like if you sand blast it then clear the natural metal. worked and looked good..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts