Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have pictures of a properly installed(as it would have come from the factory/dealer) front spoiler from under the car. Did they use sheet metal screws?
Any pictures would be helpfull.

·
Supporting Vendor
1,014 Posts
Yes, they are held on with sheet metal screws. There are differences in design between a 69 and 70 spoiler.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
There are differences in design between a 69 and 70 spoiler.
Interesting. I wasn't aware of that. What differences are there? Are the repo spoilers currently available the 1969 or 1970 design?

·
Registered
175 Posts
69's have tabs that line up with the brace/bumperette holes in the valance to take a bolt as well as screws. I think there are four but I cant remember. I think the repo's are 70 style. Mike

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
That's a question I never got a good answer on myself. My car does not have any holes where sheet metal screws would have been. So, either it was never installed, or there was some type bracket that I'm missing. I bought a repop spoiler from John's but I was not satisfied at all with the fit so I canned the idea. I wasn't about to start drilling a buttload of holes to make if work after I had painted the car. I would like to see a factory one close up -maybe the fit never was that good originally..?

·
Registered
96 Posts
This is what I bought from John's Classic Cougars. This is urethane not the cheap fibergass version.
I have the fiberglass too so I can compare. This urethane spoiler is much much better. Nice finish etc.
I don't know if its for 69 or for 70. I have a 69 Cougar but not installed yet. Spoiler.jpg Spoiler back view.jpg

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
That's a question I never got a good answer on myself. My car does not have any holes where sheet metal screws would have been. So, either it was never installed, or there was some type bracket that I'm missing. I bought a repop spoiler from John's but I was not satisfied at all with the fit so I canned the idea. I wasn't about to start drilling a buttload of holes to make if work after I had painted the car. I would like to see a factory one close up -maybe the fit never was that good originally..?
The front spoilers were not installed at the factory (same as the antenna) in order to prevent transportation damage. They were shipped with the car for installation by the dealer. The Pastel Blue Eliminator that I used to own also appeared to never have had the spoiler installed.

There are multiple possible reasons why one would not get installed, these are some of the reasons I can think of;
1. The customer said don't put it on, I don't like it.
2. The spoiler was not with the vehicle when it was delivered to the dealer and the dealer did not bother ordering a replacement.
3. The spoiler was installed on a different Cougar to help make a sale.

·
Registered
32 Posts
On my 69 Eliminator I did not find any holes for the screws for the wrap around ends of the spoiler. I remember I had to drill two holes to secure it properly. I made use of the existing bolts in the front to hold it on. I thought it was strange that there were no holes, but I bought the spoiler and I wanted to put it on so....

·
Supporting Vendor
1,014 Posts
This is what I bought from John's Classic Cougars. This is urethane not the cheap fibergass version.
I have the fiberglass too so I can compare. This urethane spoiler is much much better. Nice finish etc.
I don't know if its for 69 or for 70. I have a 69 Cougar but not installed yet. View attachment 28277 View attachment 28278

This is the 69 model. The 70 did not have the tabs.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I'll try a urethane one then and see how I like it....couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
There are multiple possible reasons why one would not get installed, these are some of the reasons I can think of;
1. The customer said don't put it on, I don't like it.
2. The spoiler was not with the vehicle when it was delivered to the dealer and the dealer did not bother ordering a replacement.
3. The spoiler was installed on a different Cougar to help make a sale.
I'm gonna propose another possibility;

4. after bashing the spoiler repeatedly against curbs over several years the owner replaced the tweaked lower valance but not the spoiler.

Just a thought. I'm sure there are date codes on the lower bits so you can tell if they are original to the car or not. So I'm just throwing out something that sprung to my mind after reading the thread.

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Are there date codes on these front spoilers somewhere..Strange that I have one box here, that says 69 spoiler NOS, has the spoiler in it, but no mounting holes on it if I remember correctly and I will have to relook and see if there are part numbers even on this spoiler in its original box. Does anyone know if a spoiler with no mounting holes should have a part number even stamped on it somewhere???
thanks John

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Yes, they are held on with sheet metal screws. There are differences in design between a 69 and 70 spoiler.
Ok Fellahs, bringing up an old topic...

Does anyone have a pic / description / link or other details on the sheet metal screws used to mount the front spoiler?

Not sure if my front spoiler is an original or repro either ~ it is a thin black pastic, or maybe urethane. I haven't had a chance to check it for Ford part numbers or any other markings yet. It has several slots for screws but was only held on by 4 screws w/ washers. And they were all different, so I have no idea what would be "correct".

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Ok Fellahs, bringing up an old topic... Not sure if my front spoiler is an original or repro either ~ it is a thin black pastic, or maybe urethane. I haven't had a chance to check it for Ford part numbers or any other markings yet. It has several slots for screws but was only held on by 4 screws w/ washers. And they were all different, so I have no idea what would be "correct". Thanks,
Hello Mike, On the part number topic... I don't believe that FoMoCo numbers existed on the 70 front spoilers. I did not find one on the NOS piece that was previously owned.
Here's a link to one of my old posts on the front spoiler topic. http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?49394-69-amp-70-Eliminator-Front-Spoilers-are-a-bit-different&p=411088#post411088

Referencing the album photos: http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/album.php?albumid=299 The used OEM 69 front spoiler has mounting tabs and the NOS 70 front spoiler does not. IMO... the 69 design was superior.
Also, the 'tabbed' design was used for a past reproduction, that to my understanding, was made using Jim M's NOS 69 unit. Jim could probably chime in on the latter topic.

I have past-owned 70 Eliminators that had the original front spoilers mounted in place, and pan-head sheetmetal screws had been used to attach the front spoiler to the valance & lower fenders. The pan-head screws that were used for the front spoiler install on those Elims are the same screws used to attach the roofrail weatherstrip channel to the body. Same screws are also used to attach the rear valance (hidden by rear bumper) to the body. These mentioned screws have a slightly larger pan washer than the chrome trim screws that are used to attach the wheel opening mouldings to the body.

For an added visual reference, here's a few pics of the mentioned repro front spoiler & pan-head screws. Hope the info helps.

1)
2)

3)
4)
5)

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
*Thanks Gary! Darn browser didnt' show me your post until after I replied!*

Pulled my spoiler completely off last night. Cleaned it and checked all over for part numbers or manufacturer brand and found nothing.
It has 10 screw slots (5 on each half), plus a single hole in the middle - just like the '70 spoiler in your picture link.

Thanks for the info on the screws, I greatly appreciate it!

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Thanks for the screw pics! I went out to check the screws in the rear valance and found 4 different kinds in there. I think I have all three in your pics, plus a hex head!

Oh, I also discovered that my rear valance was tack-welded to the rear quarters at some point in time. And it also has a big ol' crease in it ~ thankfully hidden behind the lisence plate :-/

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Oh, I also discovered that my rear valance was tack-welded to the rear quarters at some point in time. And it also has a big ol' crease in it ~ thankfully hidden behind the lisence plate :-/
Are you sure it was tack-welded? The outer corners were originally attatched by a nut on the inside attached to a stud on the valance rather than by screws from the outside like the rest of the valance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts