Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car has a permanent lair in the barn, however I do a lot of work in the barn that causes dust. I don't imagine the car will spend many nights outside unless we take a long trip in it. Yall know I have spent the bank on a paint job so what would you recommend for a car cover. I have never had one or needed one before. This is for a 68 XR7.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
I have one of the "Evolution 4" covers, the blue one and it does pretty well inside or out.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bob how do the car covers werk with the antennae? Do they have a hole for them?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Most covers you have to cut the hole for the antenna as they do not know if there is an antenna or a custom location...etc Even with a cover mine still gets a little dusty, but one of those California Dusters is the best tool in the wolrd for quick dust offs! The cover will need to be cleaned every now and then - I have found that even the big machines at laundry mats don't quite work - so I just use a my power washer. Anybody got a better way?

·
Registered
114 Posts
As nice as your car is and as much as you have invested in the paint job, might consider purchasing one of those domes that are driven by a small fan that encapsulate your car. As hard as it is to get your car to a high level, it can be as as difficult to maintain it at a high level. Maybe a little more expensive than a car cover, but a drop in the bucket compared to what you already have spent.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Bob how do the car covers werk with the antennae? Do they have a hole for them?
They give you another plastic grommet like the ones the cover comes with on the bottom, middle of the sides of the cover, (for a cable lock). You have to locate the antenna hole (best done with the antenna not on the car) and then poke a hole in the cover. Then, you cut the hole out to the size for the grommet and snap it together in the hole. Make the hole a little small, on mine the fabric tends to want to pull out from the grommet, but the hole ended up in a seam and the doubled up fabric at the seam makes the grommet not grab the fabric equally around the hole. It is the most delicate part of my cover. I have taken to pulling the grommet and surrounding cover up and over the antenna very gingerly and right at the antenna (rather than pulling on the cover from any distance away from the cover, this tugs at the grommet).

Hope this helps.

BTW, I am SURE your paint job is going to be fabulous and worth the money. Guess I managed to get a really good job at a really good price (and I thought $5K was a lot!) because of my history/friendship with the guy who did my car/runs the shop that did it. That, and I did all the stripping, priming, panel repair, first application of filler on the repair seams, seam sealing, helped with fitting the parts, etc. My guy took the car from self-etching primer and well done body work through putty coat, high build primer (that I supplied), sealer, etc. to paint and clear, wet sanding and buff. Guess I got a great deal.

BadCat,

Since my car sits in the garage, I don't expect to have to ever wash it, maybe just shake it out now and again. I assume you are talking about a cover/car that sits outside?

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
the dust top with flannel inside is really good for yor paint and also gives some protection--do a search on this sight for car covers---the pattern recomended by cal car cover does not fit well but the forum gives a part# to order that fits nicely---doesn't your antenna go down when you turn the radio off
doctordesoto

c69sf is what they called for but c16329sf is the one that fits a 67/68 like a glove

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
FWIW The one specified for 69/70 "w/eliminator high spoiler" fits very well on my car (69 w/spoiler).

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nope no power antennae, I actually thought about one of them bubble things but for now with wanting to work on this and that all the time seems it would be a lot of trouble. Might be a real good winter storage idea? Never saw a car in one before. Bob some times I feel like I got in over my head and or maybe the painter is playing me along as to the cost but everything he has done I have suggested or ok'd, I am way to far in now to back out if ya know what I mean. I think a lot of the stuff that I am doing such as stippeling the caulk instead of it being smooth, is just cause. Nobody will ever see it but that is what ford did when the sprayed the seam sealer/caulk, going off of the pictures that I took of the car as i tore it apart. Trying to duplicate everything as much as possible. If I ever do another car I will learn a lot more on body work so that I can prime and sand and block and stuff. The fitting and blocking really ate up a lot of man hours/money. Even my painter says I could have gotten the car done for around 8 thousand if all I wanted was Paint the Car. Recon this car will be like one of the family.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
the real problem is the fit and finish on the new cars---go find an orig 67/68 cougar and in general , they fit like ----!but if you put one together like that , every one would laugh--so a concourse correct is probably an over restored car--they were pretty poor
doctordesoto

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Hey, the closer to original in every way is good stuff in my book.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOL then you would appreciate the seam sealer on this car, the painter said he hated doing that to a nice car. Once all the sealer was layed out took a paint brush and an air gun to it to get the sprayed/splackle look of the original. The painter was about to flip but it looks a lot like the original pictures!! Yeah the painter did some work to improve fitment of the car. Not overly aggressive but the lines are real nice now.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok been reading all the threads I found and did some more searching on the internet. As nice as the bubbles sound I am not sure they would be any better than a good cover. The bubbles can or would trap moisture and may even lead to condensation, yup some come with fans but in that case they are blowing the same air around the car that would go around it anyway with a good cover. Also it would be a lot more difficult to work on if it were in a bubble. So I am going to go with a good quality cover. I have looked at the NOAH and SuperWeave from Cal Car Covers. Both seem to be pretty good the super weave would be better outside. Do yall normally travel with a cover in case of bad weather? If not the NOAH would probably be a better indoor cover as it would be lighter? Also if anyone knows a good part number for the cover in case the 68 one does not fit well? Or would I try a different supplier maybe.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
IMO since you will be covering the XR7 inside, personally I feel a INEXPENSIVE cover would be the way to go. Key is NOT covering the car when it is dirty, WE ALL KNOW THAT, but important. I have seen some real inexpensive covers even from Harbor Freight, and WalMart.

I have yet to see an INSIDE cover that will harm the finish of a clean car, IMO.

So it's a bit baggy, or a tad big, so what, I wouldn't spend much on an inside cover.

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dale do you have a cover for outside too? Like if you go to a show and the weather goes south?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
the soft dust top cover is bulky and should only put on a clean car as stated --most all the major car covers (except the universal napa type covers ) are made by the same company---if it starts to rain while @ a show , i take the cover off--what are you going to do with a soggy cover with 10 gallons of water in it---not in my back seat or trunk--the dustop is kinda bulky when rolled up---about the size of a large pillow
i always take the cover off the same way :fold the sides up to roof line , fold them up again and the roll from the trunk to the hood---this way you can always set the cover on the hood and roll to the trunk----you could do it front to rear but my '47 sedan really does'nt have a trunk surface and i want to do them all the same
the part # i gave you earlier does fit a cougar very nicely---after spending the monies for a nice paint job , get a good cover with the cotton lining
doctordesoto

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
No outside cover for me, if it rains, it rains. I just wipe it off, even if you do cover it before a rain, you still have to wipe it down after taking the cover off, IMO.

I have been to tons of shows, others differ on what to do, so YOUR CHOICE.

Dale in Indy

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok ordered my cover today. Will be a Tan Dustop from California Car Cover. The guy asked me what the car was and I told him. He gave me the part number and I asked him what it fit. He said it was sized to fit all cougars 67 to 73? Now I know the 67 and 8's were pretty much identical. 69 very close but I thought the 72's and 3's were much larger? I then asked him to check a part number and gave him the C16329 that Doctor Desoto posted. That part number is specific for a 69 eliminator. That is the one I ordered. Was told it will take two weeks to be delivered. Might have to vacuum out the barn as I think my car will be home before then.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts