Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys! I'm working on the next steps of the car and I'd really like to get some recommendations from everyone if you don't mind! The car is a 1970 Eliminator. Keep in mind this car will not be stock/original. I plan to drive this a good bit and want it to be safe, reliable, and handle well. I don't plan to race it or take it to any tracks, so suspension suggestions should be for a "daily driver" type setup.

Steering - Probably looking at going with a rack and pinion setup unless there is a better option. Does anyone have a setup they recommend?

Suspension - No idea what I am doing here. Help please!

I also need to know how to restore/replace the "competition suspension" aspects of the car. From what I understand, the car has a larger front sway bar, a rear sway bar and staggered rear shocks because it was originally a 351-4v engine. Is this right?

Brakes - Disc brakes for safety. Has anyone installed these on their own, or have a brand they recommend?

Thank you for any/all information you can share!

·
Contributing Member
5,863 Posts
Rebuild the suspension joints and all bushes and add a set of quality shocks (Konis if you can afford them as they don't have the harshness of some gas shocks). Some people like the roller spring perches and have suggested they provide a more compliant ride

Several people have recommended the Borgeson style power steering box as it doesn't have a negative impact on the turning circle. It also requires fewer modifications than R&P. I use the Australian version in all my cars and I'm happy with the directness. Also check for wear in the steering column and replace the rag joint

https://youtu.be/30r3VfMQnxo

A matched set of Willwood four wheel disc brakes and master cylinder will improve braking performance but you will need larger diameter wheels

As I get older I'm looking for more comfort than outright performance and would stick with stock spring rates (dropped an inch at the front). You could lift the front and rear bar sizes slightly if you are driving a lot on winding roads

·
Registered
232 Posts
Steering - I suggest Borgeson. Clean install. Steering is responsive like the R&P setups without having to use specific headers for the different kits out there. Also they are less expensive.

Suspension - Take a look an Opentracker Racing. Look specifically into their roller perches, control arms, shocks, and strut rods. Their spring perches and control arms are beefed up stock components using roller bearings instead of bushings to free up suspension movement.

Brakes - Since you're not racing, factory disc and rear drum should be more than adequate. For even more braking power, you can step-up and look at Mustang Steve to use newer mustang stock components especially if you are using larger than factory size wheels. I wouldn't look into Wilwood unless you have the larger wheels and want ultimate braking for a street car that you plan to take racing.

Hey guys! I'm working on the next steps of the car and I'd really like to get some recommendations from everyone if you don't mind! The car is a 1970 Eliminator. Keep in mind this car will not be stock/original. I plan to drive this a good bit and want it to be safe, reliable, and handle well. I don't plan to race it or take it to any tracks, so suspension suggestions should be for a "daily driver" type setup.

Steering - Probably looking at going with a rack and pinion setup unless there is a better option. Does anyone have a setup they recommend?

Suspension - No idea what I am doing here. Help please!

I also need to know how to restore/replace the "competition suspension" aspects of the car. From what I understand, the car has a larger front sway bar, a rear sway bar and staggered rear shocks because it was originally a 351-4v engine. Is this right?

Brakes - Disc brakes for safety. Has anyone installed these on their own, or have a brand they recommend?

Thank you for any/all information you can share!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the suggestions!! I really appreciate it. Looking into these options.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have an 1 1/8 front bar and 'replacement for factory' rear bar 7/8 that I will could get to you early next year. Would trade for the factory ones if they are still on the car.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think I plan on replacing the bars if I can avoid it, thank you though!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts