Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone post a photo of the front license plate bracket on their 67? I've got the bracket but can't figure out which holes bolt to the car and which end is up. Also the valance on my front end has 4 holes. Which holes do the bracket bolt into, top 2 or bottom 2? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
913 Posts
The solid part of bracket bolts in the top holes of valance the bottom holes are for rubber bumpers, your tag bolts to the two arms sticking up and rest against the rubber bumpers.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
From your answer, I get the feeling I don't have the right bracket!
View attachment 30714
No, that's the right bracket. I don't have time right now to post a pic, buy I'll try to post a pic tonight if know one else does. John

·
Registered
913 Posts
That is correct, mount it just like you have it in the picture using the two top holes in the valance. The square holes in the top is where the plastic inserts goes that the tag mounts to

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Here are pics of my front license plate bracket mounted on my NOS front valence. I mounted the bracket two ways,with it up in pic #2/5 and down in pic #4/5. When I took my bracket off my original front valence that came on the car, I couldn't remember if ithe bracket was pointing up or down. My '68 Body assembly manual shows the bracket pointing up, but if you'll notice in pic #2/5, the two bottom holes are shown below the bracket until the license plate is mounted. In pic #4/5 with the bracket mounted down it covers the two bottom holes before the license plate is mounted (maybe the reason why the two lower holes are for the rubber grommets to keep the paint on the valence from being scratched by the bracket or if the bracket is up the rubber grommets keep the license plate from touching the paint on the front valence). John DSC01544.jpg DSC01545.jpg DSC01546.jpg DSC01547.jpg DSC01548.jpg

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
THANKS everyone for your help, and John for the great pics. I haven't assembled mine yet, but I'm wondering if the rubber grommets help to give the license plate a more "level" appearance? I know by just mounting the plate, it mounts diagonally with the bottom going underneath the car. The grommets would not only protect the valance but push the bottom out making it easier to see. Have to order some grommets and check it out!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Picture two is correct way to mount the tag bracket.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
My pleasure Kusaywa. Towcat, thanks for pointing out the correct pic. John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts