Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I'm not sure if there are any other Cougar owners on this site located in Center City Philadelphia, PA as I am. If there are, please let me know as it would be nice to know of others in the vicinity. As I am in the City, I do not have a garage at all large enough to ever consider working on my car myself.
So, what I really need is a good referral or recommendation for an experienced local repair shop that actually specializes in working on older cars, and can really follow through to get any mechanical or electrical work done in a timely manner.
I have had crazy bad luck with several local repair shops over the past year, where they have kept my 68 XR7 for a total of 9 of the past 12 months to do some pretty basic work, and really didn't get much of it done at all. Only promises. It's a real bummer to have this great car, and not be able to drive it!
Thanks for your help.
PS: I have a great local body shop that I have used for the past 30 years to restore my Cougars. My problem has always concerned finding a good and reliable repair shop.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
What (exactly) are the problems you need corrected? I possibly may be able to help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey there, thanks for your reply.
Here are most of the things that I need done. Basic stuff, but a lot of it:
Car runs and drives well, (engine rebuilt 50k ago), but it should run better. Need expert to tune it up properly, suggest other ways to improve performance.
Much front suspension work already done, but still need some ball joints, and some bushings replaced.
Steering sloppy. (Just replaced the PS control valve & cylinder.) Could be the steering box? Need diagnosis, to replace or adjust it.
Headlight doors do not work, vacuum hoses at base of radiator shredded. (By previous owner)
Electrical problems: Need horns to work. Need tach reconnected. Battery runs down, though it is new. Need electrical-charging system tested, problem diagnosed & fixed.
AC system disabled but complete and in place. Need system evaluated to see what components need replacement or repair.
That's all I can think of to make the car more reliable, safe and user friendly. All other systems are new or in good original working order. The car has a California origination, 160k miles, never wrecked, and is very clean and rust free.
Thanks for your assistance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BTW- For 17 years, I used to own a 69 Convertible just like yours. Same exact color, but white interior, std, not XR7.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
There is a nice fellow I met at the Carlisle AFN's this year, he is an auto shop teacher in your area, Steve, member ID 427XR7. He will either be able to help you or should be able to recommend a quality shop in the area who can. Drop him a line and tell him Bob the ECI sent you. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
544 Posts
There are 2 shops i use in southern NJ when i can't fix the problem. Not that far from you, maybe 20 minutes. There is also a shop that has been recommended to me in Vineland, but that is a good 45 minutes away. Larry Bey in Magnolia, NJ has his own shop, and a 1970 Merc Marauder.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts