Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,just wanna get your opinoin on something.I am looking into buying a cougar.It is a 68 standard model,the body has a few rust spots,but nothing really bad,and a few dents.The engine has been gone for awhile,it was replaced in 1983 with a 390 and a C6,but those are out of the car and disassembled.The interior is trashed,all seats and dashboard shredded.It has been sitting in a covered area for 20 years,but the covering gave way after awhile,and the roof is pitted badly,but no thru holes.Used to have a vinyl roof.I think I can get it for 300-400 dollars.What do you think?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
You need to see under the car. Thats where the problems will be. Also you need to look in the trunk and under the hood. Any holes, take a pass...

Bruce

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
BTW Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of smart and friendly people here....

Bruce

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I was gonna go back to it later on,when I had time,to take a flashlight,and look underneath the car.The good thing is,I didnt see any bottom panel rust.You know,the bubbles in the bottoms of the front quarters,and the back quarters were not eaten thru.Rocker panels looked good too.But wont know till I am underneath it.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Let us know what you find, and if you get it, post pictures...

Bruce

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will do.Am going back to it this weekend,will take my digital camera.One thing I forgot to mention,this is why I think it is okay underneath.The car was from California originally,and the owner drove it from there to Florida,and When he got here the 390 spun a main bearing,and he parked it behind his moms house,and that is where it sits to this day,under a tarp shed.Hasn;'t been out in awhile.Engine is in a garage,along with transmission

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys,just adding to this,got another question.I just found a good running 429 for a good price,that would bolt up to the C6 without a problem,right?If so,It would help my decision.

·
11,000 Posts
Tranny bolt pattern

That won't work, the 351M /400M /429/ 460 have a different C6 than the 390/ 427 / 428 with a different bolt pattern.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Also, beware the rust even if you think it's a southern car. I purchased my 68 in Texas and traced ownership back to the Land of 10,000 Salt Trucks (Minnesota).

It's a great aging restoration, but if I had known it came from here I might not have been as interested because of the potential for future rust.

Ken

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Check the location where the door hinges mount to the "A" pillar for RUST ROT.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks,will prolly just rebuild the 390.Might put something in it in the meantime to make it moveable.Like a cheap 390/427/428.While I rebuild the 390 the way I want it.I will have to see.Still have to get under the car.And thanks for letting me know the trouble spots on the cars.This will help.
Thanks,will keep ya posted

1 - 12 of 12 Posts