Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been needing a new radiator for some time now, Thanks to my grandparents graduation gift I can now afford it. I wold like something that is drop in, but would be willing to do some modifications for something bigger and better because I'm going to have about 400 horses:D . I have priced out a Griffin aluminum radiator, and it seems reasonable, but requires modifications. What are you guys and gals running, what you suggest. Thanks

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i bought a stock style 3 core radiator for my Cougar from Mustang Country. it was 220 i think and just bolted right into place. the car runs cooler and i think its great. the problem you might have is shipping. these guys are like 4 miles from me, so i can just go there. id try to look for a Mustang or Ford resto type of place out there. im sure they will have one. they also had 4 core radiators as well. like $20 more. still reasonable when Autozone was selling them for like 320 for a 3 core :(

·
Registered
123 Posts
I took my 3 core into my local radiator shop and was told they could build it with a 4 core - total cost was $175. My problems - I'm a happy camper :D

·
Registered
160 Posts
recore

I have to agree with calcat the recore job is probably the easiest and surest way of a guaranteed fit with no mods needed and any competent radiator shop can do this. my 2cents

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Recores are allright but my new 3 core 24" modine came from Mustangs unlimited for like $212 delivered. What kind of warrenty are you going to get on the recore?? Probably not as good as the new one.

Cleavland, I have used a Griffin aluminum radiator in the past, and my experiance was that it didnt cool very well. I had better luck with the Howe aluminum. The griffin had very small tubes but maybe there better nowadays because I here people brag on them. Really a new stock 3 or 4 core should do you fine but I do strongly recomend a good shroud for whatever you use. mm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts