Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
while doing some cruzin,this (DUDE) was backing out in a panel van and didnt see me.Im not oe who "stands on the brakes alot" but in this case it had to be done.They didnt lock up at all sort of a long hard stop.The rears are done the fronts are disc.Im going to pull te front off and get some rebuilt calipers.But a guy at the cruse nite said that sometimes depending on the "cam" you can lose braking vacume at the booster.If thats the caseI want to try that first.Its still hooked up like the original.What would be another way to increase the vacume? Dan

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Did the pedal stay up, or did it keep creeping down? Could be as simple as a master cyl leaking internally. Mine will lock em up!!mm

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pedal

the pedal stays up.I know wen it goes down.the back lines blew out last year.It will go to the floor.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
BAD BOOSTER

Your power booster could be going bad. The booster only assists the normal brake pedal push and the brakes will work fine without the booster but are very hard and you really have to stand on them. If it is getting weak it can have this effect of working fine under light breaking and when you have to stand on them there is not enough boost even though there is no vaccumn leak.. Check it out..

COUGRRRMAN:)

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
testing

is there a way to test the booster without taking it off.A vacume gauge of some kind?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts