Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question,

does anyone have the measurement from the back lip of the hood to the center of the air cleaner stud? I`m cutting a hole in my hood for my scoop and the last hood i cut up i removed the entire center and it looked awful from underneath, and this hood i want to do it right this time. So if anyone has these measurements can you help me out?

thanks
pat

·
Registered
913 Posts
Too answer your question, 17 in. but you could put a longer stud in the carb. and lower the hood to make a dent in it for sure.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The thing is there is no motor in the car right now and the hood and fenders are off too.. But thank you for the info i`m gonna use it tomorrow to cut the hole out..

thanks
pat

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
I'd be careful about assuming that all intake manifolds 351W, 351C-2V, 351C-4V, plus any aftermarket intake manifold puts that stud in exactly the same place.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok the car has a 351c with a 4v aftermarket manifold and a holley 670 avenger carb. Like mentioned the hood is off as well as the fenders and the engine is out too so i want to do this 1 time .

thanks
pat

·
Registered
108 Posts
Ok the car has a 351c with a 4v aftermarket manifold and a holley 670 avenger carb. Like mentioned the hood is off as well as the fenders and the engine is out too so i want to do this 1 time .

thanks
pat
Mine has the edelbrock intake with the holley 650 avenger but I'm out of town...sorry

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can wait 70vert, i am currently working on the front valance. Welding up holes i put in it putting the chin spolier i had on it awhile ago.

thanks
pat

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still waiting on a measurement for the hood hole. Can someone please help me on this issue? If you got a ram air hole it is the same i was told.

thanks
pat

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok folks i am now about to start working on my 70 hood and i need this info please. I will make it easy for people to do this as i was thinking of a way on how to figure it out where the center of the carb stud is. Take a draw string and center it on the carb and tape it to both sides on the fenders. Then take another draw string and while the hood is up run it from the cowl across the stud. Now cut the draw string so when you close it it doesn`t come off the cowl and the fenders. Take another draw string and double it up on the fenders and the cowl and it should look like a cross and i need to know exactly from the back of the hood to the center point of the cross and see if its 17 inches like towcat mentioned.

thanks
pat

·
Registered
913 Posts
I just measured a 70 Boss 302, 67 with a 351W, a 69 428 SCJ with ram air, and all come to 16 3/4 to 17 inches centered. That's the best I can do. I would go with 16 3/4 depending what size hole you want to cut.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks towcat, i`ll use the 16 3/4. Its really for the ford motorsport round air cleaner. and there will be a eliminator scoop bolted so i just didn`t want to cut open the entire hole like i did to 2 hoods cause it leaves a big gaping hole i would have to weld a plate in and weld all the surrounding area to the frame or just leave it alone. Like i said i did this to 2 hoods so 3rd times the charm.

thanks
pat

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1 - 13 of 13 Posts