Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah I know I probably asked this before as well as a million other people and I've seen many different answers but I need to know. What would be the best size wheels and tires to put on my 71. Originally I was thinking 15x8 on back and 15x7 on the front. Tire size was going to be P235/60/15 back and P205/60/15 front Since I really don't even know what the sizes mean (does 50 mean a wider or shorter?) I'm just asking what might be a good combination to use that will go on without trouble and I wouldn't have to worry about rub or anything. I've also heard alot about "backspacing and offset". I wanted to have a little "bigger" look on the back. I stopped by a few Wheel stores today and got some quotes on the Cragar SS's I wanted but they have to be ordered so I want to make sure I get it right the first time. I know there was a thread about the same subject for a 70 but didn't know if the wheelwell sizes are the same. Any, and all, comments and suggestions from you Cougar nuts are appreciated. Thanks...Gatorphan

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
P=passenger 205=height 60=series/width 15=rim size I have P/225/70/14 and fit nicely in the wheel wells of my 72 XR-7. I cannot go much taller. I can go wider, though. 50's are wider than 60's and 70's. See my pictures under CATagory 1972. If you go too wide you might hit the fenders. I had 50's on my Cherokee when I bought it and they would hit the fenders and sometimes when I hit a large bump in the road the fender would come down and cut the tire. Also, who ever had it before me didn't recalibrate the speedometer. Got a speeding ticket for 10 over! The speedometer showed me that I was doing the right speed!! Aarrgghh! Anyway, you probably want to go wider. Mine are original size...I beleive.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
breaks down like this..... ( for example ) 225 - with of the tire from sidewall to sidewall in Millemeters 60 -- aspect ratio... height of the sidewall posted as a percentage of the width I.E 60% of the width of the tire is the sidewall height. and 15 or so just the rim diameter from bead to bead. slicks are different..... say a 30 x 11 x 15 30 inches tall, 11 inches wide at the tread ( yeah a big'un lol ) and 15 inch rim. alot of off road tires are measured the same, but from my understanding, only slicks are measured at the tread, all the others are measured from sidewall to sidewall. hope i made it clearer and LESS confusing. oh yeah, in the link section i posted a killer link for the backspacing and tire size stuff. i think its on another recent thread as well.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wheels

Thanks Kitty and 69. The part that I didn't understand was that the "series" meant a "ratio to height" and not a standard sidewall height. That explains alot. I'm still wondering what others may have on their 71-73 Cats. I was going to 15" only because of the abundance of tire sizes available. The original 14's that are on their know make it look like a go cart. Again, I appreicate the response. This is a great site!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
gatorphan

Does mine look like a go cart?:(

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No way Kitty:) Your Cat looks great. I have 185/75/14 on mine now and what I meant is that mine look pretty small for such a big car. I just want to get a little beefier look without going overboard

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Wheels and tires

Yeah, those ARE SMALL! Eewww! I think the size you said in the beginning will look nice. (P235/60/15) Don't the wheel/tire shop know anything to help you out? Oh, you're in Florida! That's right. Lived there most of my life. The rip off state! Be careful!;)

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Tire sizes on 71-73s

The stock size for our Cats would be a 195 or 205/75/14. Those 185s are waaaaay too small!

My BetaCat (the more stock of the two) wears 215/70/14s on painted 14x6 Magnum 500s from a Granada, while AlphaCat had G-60-14s (that translates to 245/60/14) on 14x7s. You can get BFG Radial T/As in 245/60/14s.

As you noticed, the tire selection goes way up if you go with 15" wheels. You can get by with 15x7s all the way around and run 225/70 to 235/70 and still stay reasonably close in size to avoid speedo calibration headaches. If you're dead set on sixty series tires, try a 225/60 on 15x6 as the smallest and up to 245/60 on 15x7s on the front, and a 245/60 on 15x7s on the rear.

Sixt9coug has it right about how to decipher tire sizes. Section width in millimeters (not tread width)/ aspect ratio (height vs width) / rim diameter. Nowhere is there any outside diameter reference. You can ask your friendly tire dealer since that information is usually in the books.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Kitty I told you it looked like a go kart. Now you know why I need some new wheels and tires lol. Anyway, thanks for all the help from everyone. I think I have my mind made up and I'll post pics when finished. Have a great week and upcoming Happy 4th!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts