Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, am I safe in assuming that TW 170 are better performing heads than ported GT40 heads flowing at 210?

69 351W

I'm getting my engine rebuilt and I know nothing of engine building. I can do brakes and suspensions all day, but I've never even seen block internals.

The only shop near me that even WILL do a buildup will only do so if I bring them the parts, and tell them exactly what I want done.

I'm on a tight budget. Bodywork and paint are going to rape my wallet.

I was suggested the following parts in association with the TW 170 heads:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-M08600VS/?rtype=10

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PFS-54023/?rtype=10

I'm wondering what cam users here might suggest with this combo - this will be driven regularly.

I'm also wondering what other pieces (besides headers) would be necessary to purchase. They'll be doing a basic bottom-end rebuild aside from what I ask for.

Thanks for any help, I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Shop around a little, lots of good used stuff out there if you're willing to dig. Not a big fan of Pro Products or Summit carbs. I just sold a rebuilt 600 Holley for $125. Check Craigs, NMRA, VMOA or SAAC sites for heads unless your dead set on the Tw170's. I would go roller cam while you have it all apart, but that's me. World heads in iron pop up from time to time and are a good buy, flow well and cheap. If you can get past the aluminum thing that is. Headers with 1 5/8 tubes minimum will work. It's more about combo than trick parts from my experience..

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
For a street car, any of those heads will work fine. Go with the best deal. If you do add high flow heads, aftermarket cam, high-rise intake and headers, a 600cfm carb will be a bottleneck. I'd go with a 700 double pumper on a standard shift car, 750 vacuum secondary with an automatic.
The last 351W I built used a flat-tappet cam. The retrofit roller kits were still new and unproven, so I went with a Crane grind that was a known quantity. If I had it to do over, I'd go with a roller.
Anyway, selecting the "right" cam for a given application isn't an exact science, but most people (myself included) will need a little more information before venturing an informed guess. Such as: transmission type, converter stall (if an automatic), rear gearing, compression ratio, and what accessories are on the car, like power brakes, A/C and power steering, etc.

That said, if you really are on a tight budget, just do a stock rebuild on your heads, and put it back together with an original cast-iron 4V intake (going rate seems to be about 75 bucks. Be sure to get the carb spacer with it), 2&1/4" dual exhaust with turbo mufflers from the stock manifolds (don't forget to add a crossover pipe), 600 cfm carb, and a slightly larger than stock cam. (roller optional). You'll be pleasantly surprised how well it runs, and you can always throw the bigger heads, intake and headers on it later.

·
Registered
267 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am in a similar position. I have a 69 ELiminator with a 351W with 130K miles on it and it has never been rebuilt. I plan on rebuilding it this year, but I want it to look original yet get more out of it. So do I rebuild it with the same intake and heads and replace the standard cam and Autolite 4300 carb with a better set up Or do I replace more. My thought is I should be pretty happy with out replacing the head and intake given the 130K on it. Any thoughts?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts