Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys and gals... I really need to know the measurement on other 1967 20 inch rads (289, no A/C) from the passenger edge of the rad to the edge of the inlet hose.... see pic below. Thanks!! (Still trying to determine if the rad I have is correct.)

On second thought, how about the same measurement on an A/C equipped 1967 289 as well? I bet the A/C rad is different than the standard one!!;)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Mine is an inch and a half between your arrows. Hope that helps.
That is a 390 4bbl no AC full core..

Bruce

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I was told that the A/C version of the radiator is the 24" (side to side) one. Though my '67 WITH factory air has a 20" one (and looks similar to yours - though I'll have to wait until I get home to measure it for ya - I got a 4-row replacement one a few years ago).

I'm not sure if mine CAME with the 24" radiator though...if it DID, the cutout in the frame wall that the radiator attaches to ain't gonna be big enough (I don't think)...such confusion with the radiators...

Though the missing 4" on mine might explain the overheating I experienced in Reno during the H.A.N. cruise in '97...(#$#*&$*@!!!!).

I CAN say that my radiator outlet is more over the cutout on the shroud than yours is in the picture...

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have an original rad and engine in 67 coupe, 289.
Will go and measure tomorrow.

·
11,000 Posts
The 24" radiator began installation in 1968 Cougars. All the '67 Cougar small block radiators are bolt in, 20 inches wide. The original '67 A/C radiator is a 3 core, non - AC a 2 Core.

Royce

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info Royce. So does that mean that the inlet should be at the same location on all 67 rads? Would you have an opinion as to why the shroud notch does not line up then?

Upon closer inspection, if the inlet was moved over to where the notch is, the stock fan would slice it open!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
197 Posts
The measurment between the red lines on my rad
with a 289 is 1 and a half inches and pretty sure
all is original. My rad width is only 18 inches!
hope this helps
Doug

·
11,000 Posts
I can't tell but am guessing maybe you have either the incorrect shroud or the incorrect radiator. The radiator should have a C7ZZ number engraved into the part where the bolts go through if it is an original. Original shrouds have a C7ZZ number also.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I just saw zhat's pictures in the gallery. Looks like my shroud would fit his rad!! http://www.mercurycougar.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1955&password=&sort=1&thecat=500

Thanks Doug and Royce for the help. If I ever take the rad out of the coug again, I'll check for the part number. All I can see right now is the embossed FOMOCO symbol on the top tank.

I have a spare rad at my cottage, when the snow melts, I'll compare it..I know it came from a 67 coug with A/C. So maybe it'll be the correct one and a 3 row core as well!!:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts