Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and I are building a faux 69 Eliminator. I want to black out the grill and taillights, as well as paint the area behind the taillights black. I am looking for some advice on the best paints/colors to use for these areas. Also, does anyone have a good recommendation for prepping the chrome areas for painting. I know a simple, brute force way, but would love to know if there is a better way.

If there is a good thread for this already, please show me the way. :smoke:

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Uhhh, you know that '69 Eliminators did not have blacked out taillights, right? And since the mounting panel behind the taillights doesn't show once the taillights are installed, (unlike, say, a Mustang) I don't get the point of blacking it out.
But anyway, SEM trim (satin) black works well for this sort of thing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm. I didn't know that. I guess I should quit looking at my friend's 70.

However, since the taillight grills look like doo-doo, and the blacked out taillights look cool (especially with Competition Blue), and this is anything but a true Eliminator, and my son will likely wreck it within a year, I'm going to black them out. As for painting the area behind the taillights black, you are probably right. Probably not necessary.

So... What color black was used on the hood scoops on 70 Eliminators?

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
So... What color black was used on the hood scoops on 70 Eliminators?
Semi-flat black in '70 ('69s were body color.) You can simply rattle-can it, but if you get some actual automotive paint mixed up, it'll be a lot more durable.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds good. So, to summarize:

Body: Competition Blue
Hood Scoop: Semi-Flat Black
Grill: Trim Black
Taillight Grills: Trim Black

I end up with a 69 sporting the Eliminator look of a 70.

How many people here will get bent out of shape if I use a 70 Eliminator stripe kit? I think it looks better, especially on the Comp Blue. This car will be a daily driver so originality is not a huge concern.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep. Wow! That is a great looking Cougar. Unfortunately, I don't have a convertible.

That is the look we're going for. I really like the 70 stripe kit. Did the owner install the Eliminator text on the rear quarters or the rear spoiler? I can't tell from the pictures.

BTW, it is very cool that you are the original owner of that 70 Eliminator. My first car was a '69. I don't have it anymore, but several of the parts from it are going on the car we are building.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Eliminator word goes on spoiler included in stripes for spoiler and Eliminator word only will go in front of the rear marker lights(delaete cougar script if it has it). It comes in complete kit on ebay for under $200, you may want to consider white stripe kit on blue, should be available balck or white.

·
Registered
255 Posts
That is the look we're going for. I really like the 70 stripe kit. Did the owner install the Eliminator text on the rear quarters or the rear spoiler? I can't tell from the pictures.
Yes the Eliminator text is on the qtr panels and spoiler. The Cougar script has been removed from the qtr panels and the holes filled. The stripe on the hood is the 1969 stripe with engine cubic inch displacement text being part of the stripe.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info. Sounds like I might need 2 stripe kit$. Do you know if the hood strip can be purchased separately?

We put primer on the car today so I'm hoping for paint and stripes by April.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts